Are these reels any good?

Xxx

A friend of mine has a (junk removal business) and called me to check this stuff out before he scraps it, he tells me that a old lady is cleaning out her garage and her husbands fishing stuff is going to the garbage also, and I can have what ever is worth anything to me so, she says "my husband used to fish up on Lake Ontario, take what ever you want at least someone else could put it to good use" So I started looking this stuff over and I came across these reels, are they worth spooling them up? SG 27LC Sea Line. 210yards 20# is max. Mitchel Rip Tide E70CD. 225 yards of 30# test. Daiwa? just a level wined reel with 225yards of 25# test and another reel can't find a name on it, it looks like a Okuma or Depth master but not exactly anyway it holds 310yard of 25#test all the drags seem smooth. A tackle box that consisted of some stuff I don't even know what it is, for instance a big brass swivel with a round, white eyelet attached with that red shrink tubing the eyelet looks like it come out of two little wires that are shaped like a Y holding it in, any idea? Lots of those, Sutton spoons quite a few the #71 is on them. Some are silver on both side and some are silver/gold some are smaller. Then they are Dipseys size0 and bigger, then there is about 15 jay plugs. The Silver Bullet must have been hot back in 1988, size 4 must be 6-8 in that size and the same amount  in size 3. Still in the box are 2 size3 "Glows in the dark" purchased in 1988 for a price of $4.99. Then there is 3 Les Davis dodgers rigged up with a squid blue/white glitter with inside tinsel, they must have been the lure of the time, there are 6 of the squids, also a red Deep Six diver, and a bunch of cannon releases, some stackers, some with white pads that you adjust with a knob, these have the adjuster on the top  and some lock into place with ratchet type teeth you squeeze together and adjust the tension with a knob on the side. I think these are DR releases and the white padded ones are planer board releases. Then there are cowbells of all colors and sizes, this particular one is real copper made buy Luhr Jensen is called "Main Trail" with a #5 stamped in the blade, but it's not a size 5 blade. I use # 5 blades to build worm harnesses these are a unique shape, this lure has a lot of time as the holes are wore egg shaped from the clevis. There is a lot more but I thought this stuff was worth mentioning. Please give thoughts on the reels. Thanks, PAP.  

Like the guys on here said "run with it" I would love to come across one of these garage cleanouts. I'm sure if you list the items out and post a few pic. on this site classified you will have no problem selling the items. (Or you can sell it all to me cheap and I will pick it up :) )

Keep it and run it.  The "old stuff" still catches fish - the secret that time forgot...

I was like a kid in a candy shop, I know there were some lures that got mentioned in another post, about the old stuff that still works, I remembered the names as I went through this stuff, actually I took it all and I'm still sifting through it. There were poles but all short and like broom sticks, maybe that was the thing years ago. A lot of smaller size Kwik fish attached to some of the smaller blade harnesses. It was kind of cool seeing some of these vintage lures, some I looked up and they are actually collector Items, Hofschnieder corp. Rochester NY, Lindquist Bros. Windsor, Tecumseh, Ontario Can.

Silver bullet J-plug is an old standby & still popular today.  Hofschnieder used to make the redeye wiggler which is still a great pike & walleye lure.  I think made by eppinger today. If you have one stamped by hofschnieder, it's definitely "vintaqe."

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Silver bullet J-plug is an old standby & still popular today.  Hofschnieder used to make the redeye wiggler which is still a great pike & walleye lure.  I think made by eppinger today. If you have one stamped by hofschnieder, it's definitely "vintaqe."

Tom B.

(LongLine)

LongLine, there are 3 lures stamped by Hofschnieder one is a huge spinner with a copper blade which is where it is stamped, it's got a pretty heavy wire with a loop on the end where you attach your line, then 3 red beads a crimped stop then 3 red beads, then a stop the blade a stop,3 more red beads and a huge swinging treble hook. Looks sweet, and the other 2 are redeyes, which both have a weird double hook on each end, so where do you attach your line? the Canadian wiggler which is still in the original box has a weird set up of 2 treble hooks on the front, it has a strait wire that goes left and right of the lure with 2 little treble hooks attached to each end of the wire and one a little bigger on the back. I looked up the lure and there is a vintage site that dated back to the early 50's but this doesn't look like those, so it says it could be early 40's when they first came out. "My room" in the basement, I have antique lures and these are going to be added to my collection, I just started collecting old lures, I don't buy them if I run across them, then I add them to my collection I might have 15-18 but these will put me near 20 now. It's fun!!

Edited by pap

The end where the eyes are closest to is the front.  Originals came with a barrel swivel and a double hook attached on the front split ring.  Trailing hooks was a treble.  Spinner sounds like it may be a June-bug type, but would have to see a picture.  The red eye wigglers originally came in Silver plate (real silver), gold and copper.  (I still have a couple in my box - near and dear to me) 

In my collection, I also have 5 wooden flatfish from the 40's and some real ABU spinners from the early 50's.  All near & dear to me.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

The short rods sound like Seth Green rods ("boat rods"). The dodgers and squid sound like about 70's and 80's stuff and are still used on occasion by us dinosaurs :) The Sutton #71's were supposed to imitate Rainbow Smelt and are still used and work despite the fact  that smelt are now in very short supply in most places where they once were found in abundance. The blade numbers were just proprietary numbers used by Luhr Jensen for ordering/manufacturing  purposes they do not relate to the numbers you are talking about for Colorado and Willow leaf blades used for spinners etc. The Daiwa 27's were mainly used as downrigger reels in the early 80's. Some of the charter guys I used to fish with back then on Lake O felt that they were easier to use than the 47H's because they were smaller and lighter and didn't turn over in the rod holders like heavier reels but they didn't use the wire, copper and braid much back then so capacity wasn't as big as factor as it is now...and we mainly used 12-15 lb mono then so they held quite a bit.

A lot of the stuff you are describing sounds very usable today especially when the usual stuff isn't working.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks SK8man You certainly have a wealth of info. stored up there. Thanks for the loads of info. I'm only 47 years old and have the nick name PAP, I'm constantly being told I should of been born 50 years ago, I guess my actions and thoughts are old fashion, and I am one for the old school ways. My boat is 31 years old, all my fishing stuff is older also, my new depth finder didn't last long either, I took that piece of $hit back it was a Elite7 don't purchase one of those units unless you have stock in a migraine pill comp. My down riggers are electric but are older and I don't know Even what they are other than cannons with a 4ft booms, so I will put some of these old school lures and ways to use. One other thing. the Sutton 71's what other number was a 44 I think what were they supposed to imitate. Thanks pap.

Most of the rest of the Sutton's that are like the 44's and 22's are various representations of sizes of sawbellies (Alewives). The real silver used in the finish is not necessarily the most durable but reflects about the best in all water conditions. They are great spoons and can be used nearly anywhere (e.g. Finger Lakes Lake O or Canada etc.)  I once caught a real nice Striper at Cape Cod with a Sutton #88  (larger wider spoon). I have always carefully changed all the trebles over to stainlesss single Mustad siwash salmon hooks- but sizing of the hooks is important as it affects the action of the spoons as they are pretty light. The trebles that come on them are pretty weak and certainly won't stand up well to larger fish like salmon. I also "tune" the spoons after changing the hooks where necessary by making selective bends in them while running them at the side of the boat. There is a lot to be said for "old school" especially when the new stuff isn't "working". Hopefully we are all still learning... :) Best of luck to you Pap. Les

Edited by Sk8man