SharkHunter I noticed in the one photo where you are holding up a real nice king I noticed that there was a plastic rod holder reinforced with a piece of pvc pipe, are you using those style holders for salmon fishing if so how are they holding up. I never thought of reinforcing them with anything, good Idea!!. I have 4 of the berts rod holders and looking to add 2 more I have 4 or more of the same type you have and if you never had any break I'll use those as I'm not always going to be using them, but in the spring for brown and walleye they should make the grade. I was trolling for walleye one year and something hit with such great force it sheared one of my plastic ones right off, thinking a big Northern didn't lose my rod but didn't get to see what is was either. :(

Hey pap,

The rod holders are reinforced with with PVC and then they are basically bolted to the mounts as they cannot take the force of a dipsey and salmon hit. U can reinforce them in various ways and they will work okay. The modified rod holders are being replaced by Bert's as we speak so in the long run it might be easier to just stick with the rachect types. Good luck

Hey pap,

The rod holders are reinforced with with PVC and then they are basically bolted to the mounts as they cannot take the force of a dipsey and salmon hit. U can reinforce them in various ways and they will work okay. The modified rod holders are being replaced by Bert's as we speak so in the long run it might be easier to just stick with the rachect types. Good luck

Thanks for the info, I'll just continue on with the Berts, just thought maybe there was a chance to save a buck. Put $ 80.00 in the gas tank. Yea Right!!!