Where do I put my S&T probe?

Be gentle, I'm new at this. I usually run a 4 rigger, 2 wire dipsy spread for kings. I've heard some put it at the top end of the temp and fish below and some send it deep and fish above. Are there reasons for each? Need to keep my mind occupied or I'll buy something I don't need. :lol:

i also run my probe on the deepest rigger and usually its in search of 39 degree water. i believe running it on your deepest rigger helps you establish and maintain the "bottom" of your targeted range.

Don't forget that if your watching speed as well. With the probe down in the ice water and your main rigg's 20 or so ft above it. you very well might not be running them at the speed you think you are. Down currents are strange at times. As in down current sheers etc. Many times I've seen a westerly current down to X amount of ft. Drop the probe down 20 or so in the ice and it's exactly the opposite Best to ck down speed at different depths from time to time to see what's going on. I'll usually find 48 to 52 for king's and ck. speed to start and setup there, but use the probe after with a spoon up and down to see whats going on down below. No set rules. A lot of times knowing your speed in your spread is more important than temp. esp. with kings.

• 2 weeks later...

The Probe rigger is the first rigger that goes in the water to find the Ice water, usually will end up getting pulled up just above that 38-40degree water, then stagger your set above that. You can use your probe to keep checking and rechecking speed and temp at different depths until you dial in your program. Once dialed in you can keep it down in the cold zone.

Use it often to check and recheck your speed/temp at all your depths where you have your gear. That rigger by far takes the most abuse on my boat in one day.

Jax

In the early season fishing till the water gets into the 60'sF. I find the surface temperature reading is the most important. I look for the warmest surface water temperatures. The fish will go deep in the cold waters to escape the strong rays of the sun on a blue sky day and when they do their metabolism slows down and they go off the feed in the day time.

57deg down to 42 .also as i fish the western end of the lake i pull the probe after finding down temp and speed. unless the lake is recovering from a blow .things dont change that much for me ill drop er back down a couple times a day if needed.or every time i slide out to new water .WHY Ray.lets me tell ya i feel everything ya got out pinging and ponging(fish hawk) sonar and the such kinda smartens them older fish ,but i also wear tin foil hat and catch fish when on the radio and cell phone ............gotta go boss is tapping her foot ...........................

57deg down to 42 .also as i fish the western end of the lake i pull the probe after finding down temp and speed. unless the lake is recovering from a blow .things dont change that much for me ill drop er back down a couple times a day if needed.or every time i slide out to new water .WHY Ray.lets me tell ya i feel everything ya got out pinging and ponging(fish hawk) sonar and the such kinda smartens them older fish ,but i also wear tin foil hat and catch fish when on the radio and cell phone ............gotta go boss is tapping her foot ...........................

I dont want to tell a "seasoned" guy like you how to fish, but that niagara outflow can change currents pretty fast. Its crucial to keep that probe in the water on the west side becasue of this. Your lures down might be going to slow.