Close your eyes.....picture your perfect day out on the water.  West winds....check.  Slight salmon chop...check.  Right time of year for staging salmon....check.  Cool water close to shore.....check.  Lucky hat, skinny shirt and hand-me-down dorky pants from in-laws.....check.  Launched out of Youngstown and headed for the drop.  Set her down on the Canadian line with the intentions of showing a newbie with a new boat the red can area during derby time.  First rig down was an eleven inch protroll and fly with a mag yellow NBK fix cheated above.  Turned on the drop at 120' and hooked up before the second line was down.  Pulled off the drop to fight the fish away from boat traffic and landed a lean 25 Lber to start the day which took the spoon.  By the time we got back to the drop boat traffic was getting heavy with the usual crap that goes on there.  Managed to take a double with another king and a laker soon after setting up.  There is a nice pod of kings sitting right on the bottom near the canadian line on the drop and everyone saw them on their graph and wanted a piece.  At 10:00 we left after we got pinched (newbie driving) and I had to scramble to clear two riggers and three dipsys by myself when we ran up onto the shelf.  Met another friend in Youngstown at the dock and headed back out at noon to fish some quieter water away from the pack.  Set up in 95' east of the river, sent a rigger down 12' with a flasher and fly.....with line in hand to add cheater the rod goes off.  I think no way....has to be a brown or steelhead in the 75 degree water......then it starts peeling drag....King?????  Yep.  That started what turned out to be one of the greatest days of fishing I may ever experience.  We went on to troll waters from 94-110' with temps down only 65'.  The action was incredible.  We hooked majors every 15 minutes!   More incredible was we did not loose one fish all day.  Every hook was BURIED and many down deep.  Flasher fly bite.  Riggers down 75-88', Size #1 dipsys fished off boards 300' back, Mag dipsys 180-225' back.  Hot combo was green-dot SD with A-tom-mik pro/am fly with yellow UV beads.  To add to the incredibleness of the day was we did not see anyone else and we pretty much straight-line trolled in a 2-3 mile area.  This group of salmon going up the river is HUGE (our fish were 19-30 lbs)  Anyway, what a way to cap the season.  The boat is put away until spring got work to do on house before fall sets in.

009_zps94c3f56e.jpg

008_zps0b84d4aa.jpg

007_zps1db596e0.jpg

006_zps095becc4.jpg

005_zps2d3ee9fe.jpg

003_zps328f21d4.jpg

More than one set of ugly pants aboard.  My buddy with the muck boots was wearing pajama bottoms because of a dog biting incident.  The poor guy went to ask permission for bow season at a farm house.  When he tapped on the door, three dogs inside charged the door knocking the screen door down.  One of the dogs got out and started tearing into his arse :mooning:  while he was holding back the other two dogs against the screen.  Got a couple of good arse tears out of ordeal.  My buddy got the third degree from the local cops "well did you learn your lesson"?  :shake:   Anyway he was feeling sorry for himself so I dragged him out of his house with his Jammies on.  He is much better spirits now after the day we had. :)

I have had similar incidents with farmhouses.  Better to call ahead or beep your car horn until someone comes out.  There is a level of paranoia among farming families.  They are very isolated and have to look at strangers as potential bad doers.  The shotgun by the door and protective dogs is usually the norm I have come across.  I probably would be the same way.  Unfortunately, there should be a level of an expectation of safety when you knock on the door.  Especially if there are no warning signs to "beware of dogs".  Lucky the incident did not escalate into gun play.

yeah, that is a bunch of bs.. my dad was a feed salesman for 35 years and called on farms every day. he has some stories let me tell yeah. One of the best dog stories is a farm he would call on that had a pair of Dobermans. two times in a row he called on the farm the dogs came out and my Dad would sit in his Durango waiting till someone called the dogs off. but before the farmer came, two times in a row the dogs would start biting at the tires. a few miles down the road, he would have a flat. year, the doberban would puncture a hole in the sidewall.

We went out Sunday but it went from choppy water to some real big rollers didnt have any luck running a green glow flasher with with a dreamweaver DW-Plug with a herring strip in it and off the other rigger a white crushed wonder bread flasher and with a cut bait plug no luck. Ended up getting two 12 pound torpedo weights and have been heading out of olcott running 75 down in 90ft marked scattered fish when we came in a guy that must of came in way earlier who was a real talker said for every 6 boats 1 were on fish. He said at the ledge on the bar there was a 30ft area that was just stacked with fish but alot of boats and the water was even worst there. Looking into temp probes now right now just going off the fuzzy line where our fish finder says. -Jonah