Lake Ontario walleye

BigMac

Just curious when the bite turns on for south shore in eastern basin. I know we start getting them in August near Kingston and prince Edward County and go strong through ice out. It seems very quiet on the board from the New York guys around Henderson and Oswego about walleye info, only salmonoids. I know the eyes are in Henderson harbour area in may so where after that. Where do they go?

Just curious

The Niagara Bar produced the top three walleye this year in the Fish Odyssey contest. Larger than most Lake Erie contest winners. What Lake Ontario does not have are walleye fishermen, it has the largest walleyes anywhere in North America.

The Niagara Bar produced the top three walleye this year in the Fish Odyssey contest. Larger than most Lake Erie contest winners. What Lake Ontario does not have are walleye fishermen, it has the largest walleyes anywhere in North America.

There are quite a few walleye fisherman out there, for some reason unlike the Erie guys that will help you out with just about anything the Ontario guys are very tight lipped about the walleye, It isn't like there is a shortage of walleye, according to the people doing the reports on the walleye reproduction and survival rate, the walleyes are doing well in Ontario. In the 80's it was much easier to catch walleye, before the zebra's came to town, I did well with them especially in the spring Black river bay was a blast, now I struggle to catch a few, but I did see guys do well, cleaning fish at BRCG. I saw the biggest walleyes I ever laid eyes on, so there out there, just have to figure them out on your own. I wanted to ask the question, but I just didn't have the balls to, as I figured I knew the answer I would of got and didn't want to make it a uncomfortable situation as we were cleaning some walleye that came out of the Black River that my 8 year old daughters caught 22-24" those guys had 30" and up, I did find out that they came out of the Henderson area, If those guys belong to this site, NICE catch guys!! 

Just curious when the bite turns on for south shore in eastern basin. I know we start getting them in August near Kingston and prince Edward County and go strong through ice out. It seems very quiet on the board from the New York guys around Henderson and Oswego about walleye info, only salmonoids. I know the eyes are in Henderson harbour area in may so where after that. Where do they go?

Just curious

Best guess Quinte to winter over then spawn

The Walleye are out on the shoals this time of the year. As far as tight lipped the reason imho is, probably the amount of gas they spend and countless hours they put into searching and finding them. You do need to do your homework but they r out there.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The large walleye we consider smelt eaters inhabit deep colder waters. The energy they expend to feed needs larger forage to survive. Look for them around the smelt bait schools.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

. No walleye fisherman. Hmmm

No comparison to Erie.

post-140153-13787767802526_thumb.jpg

post-140153-13787767970384_thumb.jpg

. No walleye fisherman. Hmmm

No comparison to Erie.

I know where that fish cleaning table is and now I know who I was talking to, small world, "out in the big water" eehh

HEY BIGMAC HERE IS A LITTLE INFO FOR YOU. GO OUT OF HENDERSON INTO THE LAKE AND FIND DEEPER WATER IF YOU LOOK AT AMAP YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. ANOTHER HINT REGARDLESS OF DEPTH FISH THE SAME WAY YOU WOULD IN THE SPRING FOR THEM. ALSO MONITOR YOUR TEMP BELOW THE SURFACE. IF YYOU PUT SOME TIME IN YOU WILL CATCH THEM.

In all honesty the fishing hot spot maps, while maybe being a little outdated, offer pretty accurate information on where walleyes might be during certain parts of the season. Not the gospel but its a decent starting point

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app