Cannon Mag 10A Blowing Fuses

ksc4488

I was up to Wilson over the weekend and kept blowing fuses on one of my Mag 10As.

It wouldn't lift without holding the switch up (not automatic) and after a short while would blow the 15a fuse.  I ran out of 15s and subbed with 20's but again, it blew them.  I checked the wiring and all looked good.  What I think I figured out was that the rigger was straining to lift a 12# ball (the other never missed a beat) and now that I think about it, I wonder if there is a bad bearing or something else adding additional resistance to raising the ball.

Does anyone have any experiences similar to my problem?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by ksc4488

You should be able to  place the switch in the up position and it should raise the ball automatically....maybe the switch itself is bad and is shorting out  if it doesn't do that. I'd give a call to Screwey Louie's in Fairhaven http://screwylouiessportshop.com/index.php

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks...I hit think you hit it on the head...according to Cannon, they have a 30a reset switch under the unit, therefore the guys that installed my units when I bought the boat only put in 15a fuses...I would think that would blow them every time....  the one still sounds rough though and it won't do an automatic raise that Cannon says is the result of bad grounding of the boat...BUT, why does the other work so well...more research (and more experience) is needed!

Edited by ksc4488

My Mag 10A's switch I believe is set to set the rigger down automatically.I have to hold it while coming up

If it's like that you have the + and - leads on the switch hooked up backwards and take the chance of running ALL your wire off your rigger !!!!!

Thanks...I hit think you hit it on the head...according to Cannon, they have a 30a reset switch under the unit, therefore the guys that installed my units when I bought the boat only put in 15a fuses...I would think that would blow them every time....  the one still sounds rough though and it won't do an automatic raise that Cannon says is the result of bad grounding of the boat...BUT, why does the other work so well...more research (and more experience) is needed!

It could be the motor housing piviot/point for the motor is cracked....... causing more drag bringing up the ball on that rigger !!! Hope not .......

If it's like that you have the + and - leads on the switch hooked up backwards and take the chance of running ALL your wire off your rigger !!!!!

yeah, probably right. I had to add new power cables to them so removed the switch as well. pretty easy to flip

yeah, probably right. I had to add new power cables to them so removed the switch as well. pretty easy to flip

Make sure you don't have a (auto-stop ) before you change the wires.....  it would be a small ciruit board inside,,,,,,