Short vs long rods

My Tracker Targa 2000 is 98" wide, I use 6'-2" St. Croix Avid Jerkbait Rods for the inside dipsey's and St.Croix 7' med-hvy Premier Muskie Rods for the outside dipsey's.They all have ABU Record 60 reels spooled with 80 lb PowerPro and work fine.I use 10ft leaders, but my net has a 10ft handle.I never run riggers only 5 & 6 color leadcore lines with added gibbs weights when needed off the big boards and dipsey's.I spend most of my time on Lake Erie for walleye.But have done just as well off the Niagara Bar for kings running 4 board leadcore lines with extra gibbs weights and 4 dipseys all with NK 28 spoons or JPugs.My muskie rods are my salmon rods and work fine.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So I guess the "long and short" of it is whatever  works best on your boat for your particular situation and your preference is best to use :lol:

I agree with all that has been said. But...it's way easier to run a 10 ft lead between your diver and flasher on a 10 ft rod. And easier to net a fish with a long lead on a longer rod. And I guarantee a longer lead gets you more bites! If you're too much of a wimp to handle a 10 ft rod...either start pumping some iron or take up walleye fishing! ;) (hide)

I agree with all that has been said. But...it's way easier to run a 10 ft lead between your diver and flasher on a 10 ft rod. And easier to net a fish with a long lead on a longer rod. And I guarantee a longer lead gets you more bites! If you're too much of a wimp to handle a 10 ft rod...either start pumping some iron or take up walleye fishing! ;) (hide)

Or run that mag dipsy / 124 Walker as a slide diver with your bait 10-12 foot behind the diver, and after the hit the diver is only 3-4 foot in front of the bait.

7' rod, 4 feet from diver to lure... now where did that easy button go to; I want to press it with my limp weak wrists...

Edited by John E Powell

Who needs rod workouts when you have those Daiwa Saltist Linecounters to make a man out of you? You should have seen the bruise on my forearm the night I ran solo and fought five kings to the boat! Best two hours of fishing I've had this year, but it left a black and blue mark the size and exact shape of the linecounter on my left arm. Ten foot or seven foot rod, wouldn't have mattered...it would still suck  :puke:

Best reel I've ever owned  ;)

John, I took your advice and contacted Roger regarding the lathe, and he's setting me up. You the man!