Saturday morning only had two bites. The first one bull dogged us out to 860 ft and gone. Threw the hook. Chrome echip and hammer fly. Next one hit a mt dew echip with a sweet pea fly. I set the hook and ran about 30 feet and pop....gone too. Really frustrated at this point i was checking all the gear and the fish i lost was due to a defective swivel. Never had another go after that so we left at 1:30 and were back in the marina at 2:00ish.

Sunday morning was hell again. Driving across the pond and slow down to go through the channel and we hear this ticking noise. So we're checking everything by then and the boat gets beached on the sand bar. We can't find out what happened to the boat. Put it in reverse and actually have an easier time getting off the sand. And a big bang noise and I look back and probably a 20lb mass of weeds rolls away from the prop. So drove out to the lake and did our thing. No bites. Best screens all year. Frustrated as hell. So capt. goes to clean up and pulled the last rod. And the meat rig rod was slack. Favorite meat rig was donated to the lake. Could not get worse. Drive into the pond. Almost fell off the dock. Pissed by then. Check the prop. Or what was left of it! Chewed to nothing. I don't even know how we fished and drove out ok. And the fin above the prop was busted up too. So I took a break after a stressful morning.

Sunday night kept it going. Setting up and the boom on the side rigger swung out and pointed back. So we had to tie it off with a rope to the canvas post. So about an hour in with no hits yet, the dipsy started screaming. I was in the cabin rerigging flies and stuff that broke. So the capt thats supposed to know what he is doing, gets the dipsy rod out and sets the hook like there is a boulder on the end. Please reply and tell what the hell is wrong with this! So he sets the hook and "ohhhhh lost him"....I zipped my mouth. No smart ass comments coming from me tonight. Gets it to the boat and what do you know. It broke off too. Huh...so retied some more stuff. And the replaced meat rig fired and guess what? Lost him too. S I'm cleaning up and the last rod in the water fires. And the fish ripped the rod to the water but...no drag was coming out. With that much pressure it would have been spitting it out like nothing. Down it went and back up it came. Gone. Chrome echip and hammer fly to the lake too. So cleaning up in the near dark and was tired and stressed out. My phone almost fell in the water twice. Then the storm came. So fell asleep in minutes after dinner.

Monday was less stressful. Put the rods away, cleaned the boat, did some fishing at the marina. Took boat out and trailering it for the rest of the year. Left camp at 10:30 and fished the river for the first time since June! Walked a lot. Saw about a dozen fish or so. Hooked two or three. Went home at 3:30.

On a side note, the weather was gorgeous. And so were the waves! I guess the guys out west weren't that lucky. Maybe this weekend will be better since I'm not on my normal boat. How was everyone else's weekend?

Were you out of Sandy pond? 

Why do people set the hook when trolling?  I never set the hook and my ratio's are usually pretty good.  I personally would never set the hook on a wire dipsey.  There is no stretch and you risk pulling the hook right of the mouth.  My theory is and I am no pro but if your dipsey release is set properly the hook should be set when it trips.  This weekend I did have a fly with a bad hook (vmc that bent) that lost me two fish before I finally stopped being lazy and retied.  It than landed us 4 of our fish.    

Edited by f1sh-0n

That channel is something else.  I dunno how the big boats do it.  I have seen plenty of people get stuck.  In the pond it seems like just sand though.  I'll be painting my skeg from the pond. 

We prob saw you out there.  I have a 18' Trophy with Green Bimini.  9.9 Honda 135 opti. 

What main line are you using?  And what are you using for your flies?  If your breaking off that many fish I would look into your line.  Bite offs are pretty common this time of the year but you shouldn't be breaking off before the flasher. 

my weekend wasnt as bad equipment wise,but fishing was tough.i dock in sandy pond also,when i get out of the marina and it  drops off,i put the the boat in reverse to knock the weeds off then i go.as far as fishing goes,i went 5 for 6 on friday,1 10 lb steely and 4 kings all over 20 lbs.GREEN DOTS!!!!! saturday went 0 for 3,had new people on the boat and i am pretty sure i told them before we started DO NOT SET THE HOOK ON THE WIRE RODS!!!broke off first 2 fish on them and then had one bite the fly off on a rigger rod.also had the e-z steer bracket brake.sunday was very tough,went to south dune where we were seeing and catching the 2 days before and nothing.trolled from 60 to 120 and back.being my last day of king fishing till next year i decided to burn some gas and run down to to the salmon river area.lots of boats and even more fish,i have never seen so many fish on the screen!!!but only managed 1.didnt see many people moving rods,so i didnt feel so bad.it was abeautiful day to be on the water though.good luck to everyone for the rest of the year,i had a great time this summer on the lake and already looking foward to next year!!!