Newbie - advice needed

Heading out on Saturday for the first time on the Big O.  We'll most likely be launching at Mexico Point.  We plan to troll spoons and plugs with downriggers.  Are there any special regs that I need to know?  Special permits, tackle restrictions, etc....   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Welcome to site.  Fishing license required.  Safety gear depends on size of boat.  Better to be too safe than sorry.  Watch the sky/weather.  Troll on the fast side.  Put some "outlandish" colors out there.  Try to stay outside of any pack of boats.  Don't  get to close to other guys.  3 lines allowed per angler, 15 hook points maximum on each line.  No gaff hooks allowed. 

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks guys for the pointers.

LongLine - you just about quoted the text message I sent to my uncle earlier this evening regarding my plan to "stay outside the pack and do our thing"

We have our licenses.  Boat is 20 foot.  I have all the standard safety gear - PFD's, fire extinguisher, ship-to-shore radio, lights, horn, whistle....

If anything happens to your net, remember you can lift a King out of the water by grabbing the base of his tail.  They can't collapse their tail fin. Just make sure you don't fall overboard tho... :)    

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the advise.  We made it out but as you probably know the weather was crappy.  We trolled north from Mexico thru 60 FOW into 80 FOW marking fish most of the way.  We went 0 for 0 before heading in mid-afternoon when the weather started to get nastier and the lake developed quite a chop.  Oh well, it was good to get out and I can't wait to go again.