Reels for trolling dipsy on wire

trbean

You might want to consider the Daiwa Sealine SG47LC3B. I bought one and spooled it with 30 lb mono backing and 1000 ft. 30 lb seven strand and it saw some kings on it and  worked flawlessly. I also have a power handle on it which helps with the gear ratio. I have some carbon fiber drag washers for it but so far the standard ones have worked fine. They are also small enough to double as downrigger reels. The Saltist is also a good reel and the direct drive line counter is nice but it can be uncomfortable on your wrist/arm because of where it is located.

Edited by Sk8man

Having fished with them all, my vote has to go with the Okuma Catalina 305da. The tension spool control system, a secondary drag, can be set to keep drag tension on the spool when the main drag is disengaged. This all but eliminates wire birdnesting when someone free spools a reel under tension by accident. It also allows you to creep a dipsy out under tension without adjusting the main drag setting. The engagement of the main drag, if a fish hits while the diver is creeping out, can be activated by flipping the spool control lever or by simply turning the reel handle (engaging the main drag).

The second big advantage for some people is the location of the counter on top of the reel. Some reels have the counter on the left and can be very uncomfortable to reach around. This is a more important consideration if rods will be used by children, women, the elderly, or by people who suffer from forearm or wrist afflictions like arthritis or nerve pain.

You might want to consider the Daiwa Sealine SG47LC3B. I bought one and spooled it with 30 lb mono backing and 1000 ft. 30 lb seven strand and it saw some kings on it and worked flawlessly. I also have a power handle on it which helps with the gear ratio. I have some carbon fiber drag washers for it but so far the standard ones have worked fine. They are also small enough to double as downrigger reels. The Saltist is also a good reel and the direct drive line counter is nice but it can be uncomfortable on your wrist/arm because of where it is located.

My buddy just picked up a set of these for wire and the wire keeps keeps kept getting stuck in side of the spool said it was horrible. My 27 lcx's do the same thing from time to time not cool the regular lca were the best.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Low end...Okuma Convector 30

Middle...Daiwa Sealine 47LC

High...Daiwa Saltist 30

I currently have 3 seasons on the sealines and like them a lot. Never-ever had the issue the other guy was just talking about with the wire getting caught in the side of the spool. The gear ratio is the selling point on the Saltist. Convector is a nice reel for the price.

As far as the line getting stuck in the side of the spool ....something is wrong with either the way the wire was put on the spool or the tension of the spool, too much backing before the wire was put on, or too much wire (or possibly a defect) but the wire should be nowhere near the edge of the spool even with 1000 ft. on there. Ive had dozens and dozens of reels over the time I've been fishing and I now have a dozen other Daiwas, many Penn's and some Okuma's and this particular reel is one of the best I've owned. I'm not a "Diawa guy" or an "Okuma guy" just someone who wants a reel that works and does what I want it to do ....consistently.

I like my Okuma Catalina's or Shimano Tekota's.

Don't buy cabelas junk.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's a shame they don't improve their drag system, one time they work, the next time it's like you locked them up, once set they are ok to say the least, but every time make sure the drag is where you want it(pain in the but) if they would improve their drag system they would be a good weekend fisher mans reel. I agree with stay away from Cabelas reels but you can get good reels in the $80/90 range if your not a everyday all year long fisherman. If you are I agree with the rest of the guys, get the best and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious why some guys run the big reels for wire.  Your line counter isn't as accurate without a full spool...and the bigger reels are more money.  1,000 ft of wire fills most 30 size reels perfectly.

Since I made the above post about the Depth Master. I got in touch with that Tuna reel repair place or what ever it's called and he had the carbon fiber clutch disks told me to install them, try them let him know how they work, he was the only guy that had all the Depth Masters parts (everything!) WOW what a difference. For $39.00 reel cost + $8.99 for the drags stuff= $47.99 for a decent reel, what do you guys think? is it worth it or not. I have 6 of these reels, 4 DM30 and 2 DM45, and the DM30 does hold 1000ft 7strand torpedo, fills the spool perfect.

okuma's are having issues lately. Mine the counter was sticking,brand new, never got near zero when winding back in. Took back to B&E and he said 3rd one back with 3 different problems. Bought diawa 47lc, no problems and always back to zero within 2 ft.

Ok I'm looking into rigging up for next summer.

I don't have a huge budget, but I want to get into some kings in the lake.

Pier and stream fishing is getting old.

I have 2x Okuma Magda 30DX for lake erie walleye, and they work fine.

I know they are entry level reels, but would they work for lake Ontario salmon?

I'm looking at getting 6x combos, 2x 45DX with 5 color, 2x 45DX with 10 color, and 2x 45DX with copper.

Would these be ok for getting my feet wet with some lakers?

Thanks

Ok I'm looking into rigging up for next summer.

I don't have a huge budget, but I want to get into some kings in the lake.

Pier and stream fishing is getting old.

I have 2x Okuma Magda 30DX for lake erie walleye, and they work fine.

I know they are entry level reels, but would they work for lake Ontario salmon?

I'm looking at getting 6x combos, 2x 45DX with 5 color, 2x 45DX with 10 color, and 2x 45DX with copper.

Would these be ok for getting my feet wet with some lakers?

Thanks

1.) Yes they would work for Lake O. Salmon

2.) I'm not sure why you would use 5 color and ten color core set ups for lakers? Typically lake trout fishing is bottom fishing, using downriggers.

3.) That being said, the 45's would be fine as lead core reels, but I think buying three Convectors would be better than buying 6 lower end Magda's

Good luck,

Chris

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to minimize the amount of poles I buy, and have the most versatility between Erie and Ontario.

Currently I bottom bounce and run dipsy's in Erie, but I want to be rigged to do everything.

I want to use my down riggers, dipsy divers, planner boards, combined with copper mono and lead core.

I'm just assuming I will need to have 10-12 poles to do this.

My two current poles are running 20# mono, and they produced for me, this being my first year on the water.

I was able to run bottom bouncers and dipsy's on them in Erie.

I'm thinking they would be adequate for my down rigger, but haven't tried them.

Like I said, I'm trying to have the most versatile combos set up, so I don't have 10+ poles on a 16 ft boat.

What would be an ideal planner board size for walleye and salmon that doesn't incorporate the mast setup?

Also what size cannon balls for Erie and Ontario.

I realize there are some Erie questions on here, but for some reason my computer wont connect to the "Walleye Community Forum" lately.

Any more input is appreciated, please remember I'm very new to this, just trying to educate myself.

Thanks

What would be an ideal planner board size for walleye and salmon that doesn't incorporate the mast setup?

Larger boards like the Church TX-44 work for long coppers, for shorter cores or coppers you can use more traditional sized boards you probably already have for walleye trolling.

Edited by John E Powell