RUFF RIDER Sodus Live Report Sep 7-8

I've got the blood run on my 300 copper and don't like it.  It seems more pliable and a bit softer and it seems to fray MUCH MUCH easier.  I'm pretty sure the reason the Opti-Tackle copper broke was that I switched to a heavier rubber band (ran out of my normal ones and all the store had was one of those dumb variety packs), plus I tightened the drag a bit more than normal due to the rough seas.

I spoke with Roy (Mudflat) at the docks and he stated that he runs the copper through the swivel twice to avoid the same problem I had, which was the copper breaking at the Spro inline swivel.  It's going to be tight feeding it through, but I'll have to give it a try.

That being said, I had a lot less problems with the albright knot last year (once I figured out how to tie it correctly).  The swivels have seemed to cause nothing but trouble this year.  Next year I'm going to try to the shrink tubing over them to see if that helps, if not, I'm going back to the albright knots!

Nick

I run the copper 2x thru and use hot glue all the way up the knot to the spro. I use opti-tackle copper as well. 

Matt is right....the clear hot glue is the way to go instead of shrink wrap....If you use the clear stuff right you can actually see through it and spot a potential fray but since it isn't really "movable" I've never had one. I've only used one wrap though.

I'm going to need to try the 2x thing, but man that hole looks small to get the copper through twice!

Nick, 

Not sure about Opti tackle copper, but I can get two passes of Atommik 45# copper through the eye of a Spro inline swivel (I think these are 150# variety). It's tight, but can be done.

Good luck,

- Chris