Yankee @ the Oak 9/5 and 9/7

September 5th - Fishing was tough today! We had a group of six out for a Bachelor party. We ended the day going 3 for 6. We were able to put two small Salmon in the boat and a Steelie. 

Fishing has rally come to a halt out on the big pond! 

September 7th - We headed out and had to weave through the boats doing harbor patrol. Too many for our liking, so we motored out to 100’ of water and set lines. The picture was amazing, but we never turned a rod, and as the sun came up the fish sunk to the bottom.

We pointed the boat North and trolled out to the 26N line, and still not a rod moved. There was so much bait out there it’s no wonder the fish weren’t eating. We told our guys at 8am we were going to cut the trip short and finish at 10am because it wasn’t worth the effort. Talking with captains all over the lake it seemed the whole lake was shut down.

Anyway, we pointed her South and got back into the 130’ range around 9:45, and the picture looked good so we leveled out. No sooner did we do that and our 300’ diver takes off with a Marv’s Big Fatty Stinger E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hijacker. We put that gal in the boat, and no sooner our 130’ Cannon downrigger fires and it’s on! This fish fell for a Stinger 2 Face E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Glow Hammer. 

We stuck to the plan, and headed in with a happy crew under the tough conditions. They understood how tough it was out there, and were willing to give it a go in 2014 when the Lake is back on fire!

IMG_20130907_100530751_zpsf34f1f9b.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

Rick - You might want to edit the dates (says August 5th and 6th). Tough going out there and if you weren't able to do it it wasn't "doable"....tough to figure this total shutoff on the lake.... Les

Edited by Sk8man

Rick - You might want to edit the dates (says August 5th and 6th). Tough going out there and if you weren't able to do it it wasn't "doable"....tough to figure this total shutoff on the lake.... Les

One date was off.....We fished this past Thursday and Saturday.

I don't get it bud....I remember fishing right into October as a kid.....

But wasn't it SEPTEMBER? (says August above) :lol:  Man... I know what you mean... in the past  the action was good sometimes well into October....unreal...and really good fish too...things in general seem early to me this year...we have some leaves on the ground around here and some of the trees are turning a couple weeks early...crazy...

We're going to have an early winter.  When was the last time you saw a robin.  A lot of people don't realize it but they left the area four weeks ago. 

I had 12 robins in my yard on Saturday eating worms during the rain 

Thanks Rick! Nice to know how the weekend went. I was thinking about going out, kinda knowing that I was probably gonna burn gas for a boat ride. I sure hope there is still a class of salmon staged offshore yet, or its gonna be a sparse population come 3 years from now... So much bait inside makes one wonder if the forage base is outrunning the predator populations too....what do ya think? Seems surface temps are staying too high for any good runs at the oak yet. I don't know what the river temps are lately. I think 95% of boats has been just outside of port and not much there really, only sporadically as it seems too warm inside yet? I D K???:blink::wacko:

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tim....you weren't alone on that I don't think very many were caught (like in years past anyway) all along the south shore from the posts here at least. It will be interesting to know what turns up at the hatchery this year too in the way of matures in comparison to the past couple years.

Edited by Sk8man

September 5th - Fishing was tough today! We had a group of six out for a Bachelor party. We ended the day going 3 for 6. We were able to put two small Salmon in the boat and a Steelie. 

Fishing has rally come to a halt out on the big pond! 

September 7th - We headed out and had to weave through the boats doing harbor patrol. Too many for our liking, so we motored out to 100’ of water and set lines. The picture was amazing, but we never turned a rod, and as the sun came up the fish sunk to the bottom.

We pointed the boat North and trolled out to the 26N line, and still not a rod moved. There was so much bait out there it’s no wonder the fish weren’t eating. We told our guys at 8am we were going to cut the trip short and finish at 10am because it wasn’t worth the effort. Talking with captains all over the lake it seemed the whole lake was shut down.

Anyway, we pointed her South and got back into the 130’ range around 9:45, and the picture looked good so we leveled out. No sooner did we do that and our 300’ diver takes off with a Marv’s Big Fatty Stinger E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hijacker. We put that gal in the boat, and no sooner our 130’ Cannon downrigger fires and it’s on! This fish fell for a Stinger 2 Face E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Glow Hammer. 

We stuck to the plan, and headed in with a happy crew under the tough conditions. They understood how tough it was out there, and were willing to give it a go in 2014 when the Lake is back on fire!

IMG_20130907_100530751_zpsf34f1f9b.jpg

YT,

Thanks so much for all of your awesome reports this past year - they were very helpful helping me, and great reading on a Monday morning. You have always been generous with advice, and gracious with your honesty.

For some reason, I took a PM beatdown from another LOU member regarding my post above about seeing robins in my yard a few weeks ago (implications that I was full of shiznit that I saw a flock of birds in my lawn and that I was smoking something good that day.....).

Either way, I thank you for your post and I'll make sure that I read my Farmer's Almanac a little closer next time about an early winter.

Good luck in the field this year,

Chris

Not a problem Chris! I enjoy writing them, and our clients enjoy seeing themselves on the net! Next season can't come soon enough....until then expect cabin fever to kick in and guys 'tudes on the net to fly off the rocker every once and a while.

I "second" Chris' comment. I look forward to your reports as well and find them entertaining as well as informative :)  I also find it encouraging as in the pic above that young people are getting involved in our sport (vs. staring at the computer, Iphone or TV screen all day). For the past decade or so hunting and fishing has not seen many newcomers in the way of younger people and that will be the future of the sport.  I think the exposure gained on the YT is a great start for some lucky dudes... Keep up the good work Rick! Les

I "second" Chris' comment. I look forward to your reports as well and find them entertaining as well as informative :)  I also find it encouraging as in the pic above that young people are getting involved in our sport (vs. staring at the computer, Iphone or TV screen all day). For the past decade or so hunting and fishing has not seen many newcomers in the way of younger people and that will be the future of the sport.  I think the exposure gained on the YT is a great start for some lucky dudes... Keep up the good work Rick! Les

Thx bud!