Seneca New to Seneca

abc715

Congratulations on the boat.....it might help out to let folks know what type of fishing (trolling still fishing etc.)  you are interested in and what particular species (trout perch bass , pike etc. and what type of equipment you'll be using  for starters so we might be better able to help you out. Additionally where in the lake you intend to launch from to fish.

Edited by Sk8man

Sure... glad to help if I can. First thing is to get used to your boat itself and how it handles.. guess I should have also asked how big is the boat/motor and do you have a kicker? It is very relevant...to making suggestions. Reason I'm asking is Seneca is a pretty big body of water and if you have a small motor only it  critical where you launch or start from (safely)

Edited by Sk8man

Trial and error I am a firm believe in can read all you want but will only get you in the ball park won't be until you put your own experiences and programs together will you be truly successful I'm sure many will agree when I say what works for one may not work for others. But as for a location on the lake Sampson is normally consistent fishing but the temps and currents are insane right now so it's a free for all I recommend hitting the water at the closest launch and just laying it out their just washing lures. Good luck and tight lines.

Joe is the name and I'm on Seneca a lot channel 68 on the radio

Good advice from Joe too. This is pretty much a transitional time for the lake but also the goofy weather lately has made things even more challenging than usual. If you'd feel more comfortable send me a PM (Personal Message) it just may not be a quick.

Edited by Sk8man

My boat is an Arima 16' with 50 horse merc. I've had it for a couple weeks. Been out 3 times and not much luck yet. You might recognize it. I bought from a person that has fished on Seneca for a while. Boat name is Skipping School. I've had some people tell me it is bad luck to change name. Although I would like to change.

Where are you putting in? things are really getting up and down on the lake right now from my exp. I have a small 14 ft boat

and get out as much as i can. let me know and i will look for you. You did the first thing right by finding this site

Dick B

Good thanks. That 50 Merc is a real workhorse and is one of the better ones ever made and it trolls down real nice. Yeah there are a lot of superstitions in boating and fishing but most of them are just that superstitions.

As Joe said and considering what you want to do I'd launch from Sampson  because each of the species you mentioned are usually encountered somewhere nearby there and you can duck into the marina pretty easily if things get unpredictable ( thunder storms etc.). You can nearly always find lakers right out from the marina to your right as you are going out...just have to look around a bit to find the depth....they are usually very bottom oriented there and to be successful you'll have to run close to the bottom for them and I'd suggest going on an angle outward so you don't hang up on bottom staying near the bottom (cowbells with peanuts work great out there even off downrigger up tight to the ball). You'll also find the lakers just below the thermocline.  Right about nowand well into October you may run into good sized browns in the same area doing the same things browns only running a cheater a few feet above the main lure. For rainbows I'd troll north around the first point (Pontious Point) with the riggers and then go in shallower with the lines run back longer say 50 ft. for rainbows and the occasional landlock. If you look closely you'll see a creek on the shoreline (Reeders) and it would pay to work that area real good varying your depth and speed. The bows like variations in speed and if you have any Sutton spoons in medium to small sizes (or others similar to them  especially with real silver finish) Reds blues and green colors seem to work well but I'd keep the spoons on the small/medium sizes not magnums etc. There are many areas south and across the lake to the north and south but I'd give that a try first and see what happens. Hopefully I haven't offended ERabbit (Ed) by not telling you to go south toward Lodi :lol:

P.S> You have to be careful running the dipseys close to bottom (without hanging up) as well out in front of Sampson especially if you don't run from shallow to deep but there are often some bigger browns of interest there. I know I've ignored the whole concept of temps but right now I have no idea what the picture is out there. 

Edited by Sk8man

Change the name! Its only superstitious if you change a name you have already given it! Besides. It wouldn't be fun without mishaps! Good luck. That arima is a beautiful boat! I was tempted to buy it myself!

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I didn't recognize the name Arima at first ...but the makers Defiance are a class act in the boat building industry...they are masters at engineering and build a great boat...That combination you have (boat and motor) is hard to beat...especially for Finger Lakes fishing....

I know one of the old owners of that boat thy is a awesome boat well suited for Seneca and I would have to say you have some support backing you on this topic nick, les, ad Ed are all some great fisherman like les said Sampson on the bottom is a go to when fishing is tough I am a south end kinda guy but fishing can be hit or miss and winter fishing yeah it's just plain insane nothing to have 5 or 6 fish on at one time just none stop action. And I use to use a 15' both port troller to fish the lake with a 25hp tiler steer on it but I'm also a little on the loopy side haha if you see a center console sportcraft thats me best of luck to you!!

I know the first owners of that boat very well and to bad the boat couldn't talk to ya cause it could really teach you about trolling the finger lakes ( its seen its fair share of trout slapped on its deck already). ... All the guys that have commented already know alot about trolling to so take that all in and give it a try. .. I would suggest starting out with a couple wire dipsys rods and running flasher and flys or spoons build some confidence and go from there... The original owners of your boat liked it so much bought another Arima just a bit bigger.... And if it helps make a decision on the name their new boat is also Called Skippin School III.... Here's a pic of there newer one....

Mike

post-148405-1378997796537_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Everyone has been great. I thank you all for the help. Please keep the info coming. I would like to go out tomorrow but it looks like wind is high. Not a fan of the north west wind. To erabbit I have been putting in at savern and fishing south.

I just fished that area yesterday ,never moved a rod going south !!! Huge baitpod was right out in front of launch......didn't fish very far north of the showboat........ that area is spotty like Lodi Point , some times the mother lode is there some time you have a hard time just marking a fish...... if your working the contor for browns , have a good screen and can't get them to fire after a hour or so........ move out into 200' to 300' find the same deal with bait and marks and play with speed , direction and spoon color they seemed to be more active right now...... also as said above run flasher - flys  work much better this time of year unless your a Hard-Headed_Spoon head like me...... like the liter action rods with just a spoon , 18" laker is FUN then not like bringing it it with all the hardware........ but that me and what I enjoy !!!!!

Try heading north I'm thinking about fishing that same area Sunday and have done really well in their in the past black and purples green an yellows for spoons and play around with the spin doctors

Like I said it could be loaded up now , I have been just south of Long Point for a mile or two with good results and north of Long Point a few miles is lakerland for sure !!!!

early season shallow water 10' to 30' of water I run my spoons 75' to 100' back.....  rods are rigged with 35' to 40' of florocarbon leader material..... then as the fish get deeper i shorten the lead but still faily long with my leaders........ right now I have one thats real short for cutting it back from wear and tear it's a bout 15'................. spin doctors I have run as close as 5' from the ball and and as far as 30' ....... if you see the fish marks coming up to look at your ball shorten your leads......... just play around a use what works for you on your boat most boats fish diffent than others so don't LOCK in on some thing and think that it..... I did that with spoons .......some times it just better to fish and be lucky ......