What's the deal with Backtrolling

Patriot

The presentation is different too as well as very slow. The stern of the boat hitting into the waves/chop gives an almost stop and go presentation which gives the bait a rise steady and fall slowly look. Ive read about backtrolling faster too...ive never done it as i have a pontoon and can dial my speed in fine and doubt it's a technique thats would work well with my setup, and im not a bait guy too often.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

backtrolling is more of a walleye technique used to present live bait at very slow speeds(<1mph.)

It's also a method that the Linder boys showed in a lot of their programs, and it's used a lot on smaller boats (14-16ft) aluminum boats with 9-15hp, so throwing a trolling bag out would with one spin you around in circles and just about flip you over and with 2 to straiten things out would stall you. Even with the smallest bags, so back troll into the current on a river works very well. I had a 18ft. center console with 2 live wells in the back, Dad and I would fill the live wells and back troll the black for walleyes, DYNOMITE!!!!!

I often backtroll on the river in my little boat (14'), especially on windy days. I find that boat control is much easier with the bow downwind by trolling into it. Now I just need to pick up some splash guards so I stay a bit drier! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

How u been Chris getting ready for our river soon.

Been well Greg.. Yourself? My little boat won't come out for at least another month. I've never done that well on the river before mid-November. Well play around on the big water for a while yet! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Backtrolling allows for speed control (slow), precision and a more vertical presentation.  It works well under tougher conditions using smaller baits when fish are less active and when they are located tightly on structures.  It has its place in the arsenal but is not your basic, everyday technique.  Splashguards are a must.