Is this a coho?

costarockin

Hi everyone, just a quick fish ID question.

I caught this off the pier in Port Hope a couple weeks ago, and looking at the video playback, it appears to be a coho...

I thought it was a king when I landed it, but it was so dark I didn't give it a close enough look

I'd just like to know

Your feedback is appreciated

post-152829-0-31017300-1379092439_thumb.png

Lots of quick replies to this! 

Thanks for the input... here's 2 more pics- and it actually has white-ish gums (Chincoho?) and the hump makes it almost look like a spawned sockeye...

I caught more cohos this season than in the past decade, but all under 10lbs... since this was over 15, I'd like to think that it was a large coho:)

Regardless, it was a fun catch

Thanks for the input

and here's my biggest king of the year- 33.03lbs on the tournament scale (on the right)

post-152829-0-21771500-1379098214_thumb.png

post-152829-0-90843000-1379098219_thumb.png

post-152829-0-94375600-1379098257_thumb.png

Looks like a King.  Hard to tell for sure if it might possibly be a hybrid without seeing other identifying features like the tail, a better look at the Anal Fin and much higher quality image.

Edited by Tim Bromund

Looks like a King.  Hard to tell for sure if it might possibly be a hybrid without seeing other identifying features like the tail, a better look at the Anal Fin and much higher quality image.

What is a hybrid a mix of what and what?

Very hard to tell from that picture.  (always take a bunch of pictures - digital pic developing cost is nothing)  Can't tell if that is a legitimate hump or the way your holding it.  Also anal fin is close but doesn't look right to me for a king.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

the appearance of the so-called "hump" looks more to me like a shadow effect of the photo and it isn't quite clear from the photo if the upper nose section that appears "curved" downward is actually a "kype" indicating a male either because of the photo quality. Wish also we could see the tail clearer to see if the spots are on the whole tail or just top.

Edited by Sk8man

Pink salmon are exceedingly rare in Lake Ontario. They used to be fairly common in Lake Erie back in the 80's, but they kind of dissapeared there too. The last pink I caught in an Erie trib was in 1985. A good sized pink salmon in the great lakes is 3-4 lbs. They look completely different and it would be very difficult to confuse them with another species.

Pap, a hybrid is a king/coho cross. It happens occasionally where kings and coho spawn in the same gravel beds. They're not real common, but we usually several show up in pictures here every year. A couple years ago a guy caught what was thought to be the new world record coho in the Salmon River, but it was determined to be a hybrid, so the old record atill stands.

Pap, a hybrid is a king/coho cross. It happens occasionally where kings and coho spawn in the same gravel beds. They're not real common, but we usually several show up in pictures here every year. A couple years ago a guy caught what was thought to be the new world record coho in the Salmon River, but it was determined to be a hybrid, so the old record atill stands.

thanks Tim, that would be cool, if it was that rare type. Quite the guessing game going on!!!

Hello again- interesting to hear all the replies!

Here's one more picture to show the hump- which is the main thing that made me think it was a coho..

I know the quality is bad, but it's all I have. I'm extracting these stills from iphone video, which is always grainy at night.

post-152829-0-73408800-1379136008_thumb.png

one more thing... here's a link to a fishing video teaser that my wife and I made from our last trip to Brazil

We're releasing it in full length soon, along with a new episode from Lake Ontario salmon fishing as soon as we work out the music rights

Enjoy in HD! 

And please comment and or share- it's good for our rep:)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151420620191604&set=vb.581431603&type=2&theater

Pink salmon are exceedingly rare in Lake Ontario. They used to be fairly common in Lake Erie back in the 80's, but they kind of dissapeared there too. The last pink I caught in an Erie trib was in 1985. A good sized pink salmon in the great lakes is 3-4 lbs. They look completely different and it would be very difficult to confuse them with another species.

Here's an example of what a Pink Salmon looks like.  Hard to confuse anything else for this.

LizPinkSalmon-lg.jpg

Tim

Hello again- interesting to hear all the replies!

Here's one more picture to show the hump- which is the main thing that made me think it was a coho..

I know the quality is bad, but it's all I have. I'm extracting these stills from iphone video, which is always grainy at night.

ok that one is a little better. Looking at the kype, head and the unusually long leading edge but longer length of the anal fin, along with the greenish tint on the back, that most likely looks to be a chinho (king/coho hybrid).

I agree with it being a Chincoho hybrid.

Port Hope has seen an amazing coho run this season and I have no doubt that the Ganaraska river system produces many hybrids, given its small size and high concentration of fish

Thanks for the replies and I'll be posting the full length fishing TV episode in the upcoming month

Here is the link to the episode teaser from our trip to Brazil:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151420620191604&set=vb.581431603&type=2&theater

Edited by costarockin