Hi Guys,

This year was my first time to ever fish for salmon in the Salmon River area. We got 1 king and 2 Coho in 6 hrs of pretty rough & nasty weather. I'm considering coming back up next year and trying again but I reading conflicting reports. Has this year been an exceptionaly bad year, a fair year or a bad year? If bad why? I've read conflicting reports again - water too warm, fish not coming in ans so on so I'm confused about coming back and trying again. What do you'll  think?

Randy

I had a pretty solid year out of Oswego. The winds were all over the place this year making the down temps change constantly but we found our fish most of the time. Did really well the last week of August, including a personal best 33 pounder. Nothing like last year though when the fishing was outstanding all summer. I say give it another try for sure, just check the extended forecast and try to plan your trip on a favorable wind period if possible.

There is no such thing as a bad year when you talk about fishing.  This was a good year,but last year was great.

It is a bad year when you can't go fishing

I couldn't agree more. But all of my fishing has been done in the Atlantic, which has had a bad year mostly due to Sandy. I caught a fish & was on the water so it was a great trip for me. I just wondered if it was good,normal or not so good. There have been many conflicting reports.

Last year anyone could go catch em- set up at 150 and go to town. The water stabilized early and state that way pretty much all summer.

This year was different as winds shifted temps around an you actually had to go fun these fish.

Yea last year everyone caught more fish but anyone could do it with those conditions.

Well I can tell you all that I really enjoyed fishing up at Lake Ontario this year. I will be back for another shot next year. Now all I have to do is find a Capt. that arrainge a 2 day trip with a mixed party and I'm in. See you'll either next  Spring or Fall. Be safe & tight lines..

Randy

Right now I make two trips a year, a week in May. and a week the end of Aug.-

first of Sept. My numbers were down from last year. The wind hasn't co-operated with us that well. Just got to get my daughter thru 4-6 years of college and I'll be fishing May - Sept. Someday???

We made five trips between August 1 and September 8 for a total of 17 fishing days. We measure a good year two ways. First it was a good year because we could fish at least part of every day we were there. Can't beat that. Second we caught fish every day but one and we had three runoffs that day but couldn't keep anything hooked. Another measure of a good year. We are already planning for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.