Skaneatles 9/14

rnsurfnturf

Pequod,

Its quite simple actually. Last week I did walleye wrapped in bacon so I wanted to do perch in a similar fashion to hold it together but thought bacon would be too much so we tried proscuitto because it is extremely thin.

Smaller perch fillets actually work better but basically a 1" x 3" strip of filet folded over withe a little bit longer piece of proscuitto and 2 toothpicks stuck through all of  it in an "X" pattern. I wetted the perch filets just enough with olive oil to add your favorite seasoning to it. sheet of aluminum foil on the grill to avoid flareups and on they go and keep rollilng them around until all the fish is white and the proscuitto crisps up a bit....

Come to find out perch is firm enough that I was able to fold a strip over and use 2 toothpicks and did not need anything to hold it together and it didnt fall apart.

Think I'll be grilling up many panfish appetizers in the near future! :yes:

1st I see a nice mess of perch.  Hmmm - looks good.

next I see a beautiful dish.

Then I read the description.

All of a sudden it hits me.  I have a walleye in the fridge.  And I haven't eaten yet.

Walleye lightly seasoned in old bay, pan fried in olive oil/butter.  Finished with garlic butter.  Placed over Rice Pilaf.  I Bobby Flay'd that Beache.  Thank you for the inspiration.  I have the bacon and the prosciutto but This just seemed to be a better choice for me tonight.

Joe

PS parsley was just garnish for the picture.

post-149943-0-63572900-1379374861_thumb.jpg

Do u drift or anchor or slow troll on skaneateles? We're going down usually never find perch and witch to trolling for lakers. What did u use for bait?

All of the above! :)   Majority time I am slowly moving around with my trolling motor. I havent got on any " school " to speak of.

It was alway a couple here or there. I have found that I catch more "away" from the boat than underneath the boat.

I am casting a 1/2 oz or bigger bass casting sinker with a 2" pumpkinseed berkley power grub or crappie slider about 18" up from the sinker on a squirt jig head or black 1/16 oz jig head on a 2" loop off the main line.

Keep casting around , let it hit bottom and bring back to boat slowly, twitching it along the way .

Braid works well for feel with a 6ft mono leader is what I have been using .

smallies, rockies and perch are all in the same area and all are feeding heavily on crayfish and 1" perch fry.

Iv'e caught them as shallow as 20' out to 65' with majority of action around 45' as of last sunday.

Hope this helps!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...