Canandaigua Solo 9-15-13

Sk8man

Was sitting at home  after having some coffee figured that since the wind wasn't too bad I'd give the rainbows another shot today.launched at north end about 10:30 AM and dropped a couple down at 50 and 60 with spoons and sliders with spoons and a wire rig with green/chrome Spinny and blue-green tinsel fly at 200 ft out over 100ft. Nothing for awhile but marked  a bunch of fish 50-65 ft down over110 and again at 170...wouldn't hit and were modest marks so I became curious and went back through a couple times...had some follows no hits...just wanted to know what they were so I took spoons off  and put different sizes of stickbaits to see if I could get them to hit...to see what they were. Each pass I got one to hit....all small lakers that were suspended within the thermocline well out of their preferred temp. OK solved that....out of there....decided to scrap one downrigger and go with a braid rig with flasher and fly blue flasher and green fly. The wire rig then fired (about 80 ft down over 234?) and ended up 5-6 lb bow released unharmed by shaking the treble out with pliers while he was still in the water and he took off. trolled for what seemed like days but was hours - one  small laker and two small rainbows. Reached Cooks Point and turned around and bam the wire rig got nailed....4 lb rainbow...swallowed the treble...had hard time getting out and he "bought the farm" so I threw him in the cooler. Decided to put the Seth Greens in (3 of them)....trolled for a couple hours and only caught one small rainbow about15 inches...released unharmed. Quit at 6 PM and headed for launch ramp. While taking my boat out I noticed a kid about10 or 12 fishing in the little pond near the ramp and I said to him " Would you like a rainbow trout?" He said "Wow...sure" so I had him take my pic with the fish so he'd feel he did something for it....good day... everyone happy...also took a pic out the back of the boat as I ended up the day.

post-145411-0-89737700-1379291634_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-56088500-1379291661_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-22781600-1379291677_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-84277900-1379291728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Those fish were driving me nuts yesterday and today trying to tell what they were ....nothing like curiosity :) yes on the pickerel Mike ...and I used to get some real hog pike through the ice near Canoga way back when...those pickerel have been prevalent there though...even back in the late fifties when my folks rented a cottage summers near the park. My dad and I used to hammer them with red and white daredevils....right off the docks and in a boat.

At least you fished it bud.

Les

Edited by Sk8man

Nice job on Canandaigua Les !!!!

I got the OLE skunk-a-ro on Seneca yesterday after a fair day on Saturday water down temp was all over changed out 20 spoons never had a release from 8ish till 12:30 or so pretty lumpy ride.....  but when's it that lumpy I don't fish where I want to just go into the waves turn and fish back...wawawa..... :rofl:

You did quite a bit better than we did yesterday. I went out with a coworker. Hit the water at 11 ant trolled back and fourth over every inch of water between wegmans and the pumphouse. Picked up 3 small rainbows 40-60 ft down over 160-170 FOW. All hit small "Customized" orange and red dreamweavers :P  just couldnt seem to get into any bigger fish but as allways... it was a beautiful day to be on the water

Edited by WoodyBoater