Burbot

bringley

I was wondering if any of you fish for burbot, I have never caught one and was interested if any of you know any good areas that exist for them in western NY? I have done some research on them and it seem that this is the right time of year to target them.

thanks.

I caught one by accident as did my friend while perch fishing with live fatheads. I did read though that they bite better at night and prefer lively and larger minnows. We caught ours in approx 20ft of water. Maybe Sodus would be your best bet. If I were to really go after them I suppose I would set tip ups without leaders and have the minnows 6-12 inches from the bottom and jig for them in the meantime after dark. I did eat the burbot and cooked it the poor mans lobster way. It was realllllllly good!

Back in the 70's on Oneida when they were plentiful. They were all over the ice. They were considered trash fish by most. It was a waist of a good eating fish as well as a resource. We kept all of our's that we wanted and put the rest back thru the hole, tried to inform others around us to put them back as well if they weren't going to keep them. Most were fishing walleye riggs on bottom. Pimple or jig dressed with spikes or a small buckeye and the burbot came right along with the eye's.

Table fare: Can't beet em. Very similar to cod.