Honeyoye Ice Fishing?

cam999

Anywhere on this lake produces bass, walleye and panfish. For Walleye, I like fishing tip ups in the weeds in 14 -17 fow. Also jig the same area. The gills and seeds will be in 6 - 10 fow. For perch, they are deep and scattered. You will get some with the walleye and bass in the weeds.

cam just keep trying, try out the ponds by the big O in greece also

Iron bay is good my favorite is sodus lots of places

honeoye is too hit and miss for me but there are big gills and crappies

try to get along the weed lines good luck out there

What have you been fishing for? Where? What are you using? Hopefully you go this weekend so you can kind of follow the crowd and get the hang of the lake. The South end is usually the best place to start.

I live on the lake. Let me know how you are doing out there. I can probably help some but not so much that you catch more than me :lol:

Just an FYI for you,

I hit Honeoye pretty hard in the winter and usually do pretty well on the panfish and walleyes. Someone shut the switch off a few days ago down there though. I have had several very unproductive outings in the last week. I have no idea why the fish are in such a negative feeding mood, but something has shut them right down.

Certainly, this is just a phase, and will pass as it always does, but for now, I just wanted to try and give you one guy's honest perspective on this lake right now so you would be able to make an informed choice of where to spend your ice time.

If you do go, there is a public boat launch on the south east end where a lot of very nice people gather and fish panfish. I've never met anyone out there who would not gladly talk to you and give you a few pointers. It's a nice community, and besides, that's a really good location for fish. That south end seems to concentrate them in the winter.

Good luck. Let us know how your trip goes.

Stay Sharp, Be Safe

Grady

Well? How did you do?

I got 14 crappies. I caught one sub-legal walleye. All on tip-downs.

1crappies030208.jpg

do you guys know how the ice is out in the middle in front of trident. i 've fished the south end 3 times now with little luck. i prefer the north but the way the geese have it opened up i have been reluctant to go near it. hoping to use up my large bass bait fro the past weekend before it becomes uncertified. any info much appreciated....

I fished honeoye yesterday out in front of trident marina..still good but but some spots were starting to get a little iffy..but the fishing was great we(2/3 fisherman) got our limit on crappies and a mess of "huge" gils and sunnies..it was by far my best day "ever" on this lake...we got em in 12-15 fow techni-glo jigs with waxworms [/b]

thanks for the info. sounds like you had a good day. maybe i'll try it in closer. you're right about the huge gils/sunnies in that lake. do pretty well on them in spring/ summer. never tried thru the ice for them. i was hoping to get around the middle for the walleyes where i have done alright on them in the past but the like the others said it really is hit or miss. thanks again for the comeback.

I fished honeoye yesterday out in front of trident marina..still good but but some spots were starting to get a little iffy..but the fishing was great we(2/3 fisherman) got our limit on crappies and a mess of "huge" gils and sunnies..it was by far my best day "ever" on this lake...we got em in 12-15 fow techni-glo jigs with waxworms [/b]

Way to go there buddy,

Nice to hear that the little lull in the lake has ended just as fast as it started. There has been a pretty large gathering of people out there off Trident lately. That ice is still pretty stable and has not been affected by the black hole I assume. I would suggest that folks stay away from that hole in the middle of the north end. You can't be sure of gas pockets and weaknesses near it. With such good fishing in safe areas, fortunately we don't have to take that chance.

Best of luck to you,

Grady