was going to night troll

My plan when I was leaving work yesterday was to go home get my stuff done so I could be leaving my dock by 430 at the latest and fish til around 9.  I arrived home went down to the boat to check it out cause it had been a week or 2 since i was in it.  I found 2 dead batteries so i got out the charger and let them charge for a while.  i went did all my stuff and at 430 i checked the batteries again had some chagre in them so i  started the motor with the charger on.  i checked my lights in the boat as i always do before an afternoon outing and they were not working.  After a few choice words and some messing with the lights they just wouldnt work so i decided to go only til dusk.      I left the dock somewhere around 5 motored out to 70' and put down 2 riggers 1 wire dipsey 1 braided dipsey 300 copper and 10 color leadcore.  The riggers were parked at 50' and 60' pulling spoons.  the dispeys the copper and the leadcore were all pulling spin docotrs and flies.  i trolled nw out to 80' then back into 60' before i picked up.  i took 1 good shot on the wire dipsey back 150' on 3 setting pulling glow with green dot sd and glow hammertime fly.  he ripped out to  500' then as i started to win the fight the wire broke i lost the everything.  There must have been a kink in the wire but im pretty anal about always checking my wire and leaders before i set it out.  all well i must have missed something. it was a nice evening to spend on the lake.  Im hoping for 1 last trip tomorrow morning.  i plan on heading deep to get away from the crowds and to find smaller kings and steelies if the weather lets me

My plan when I was leaving work yesterday was to go home get my stuff done so I could be leaving my dock by 430 at the latest and fish til around 9.  I arrived home went down to the boat to check it out cause it had been a week or 2 since i was in it.  I found 2 dead batteries so i got out the charger and let them charge for a while.  i went did all my stuff and at 430 i checked the batteries again had some chagre in them so i  started the motor with the charger on.  i checked my lights in the boat as i always do before an afternoon outing and they were not working.  After a few choice words and some messing with the lights they just wouldnt work so i decided to go only til dusk.      I left the dock somewhere around 5 motored out to 70' and put down 2 riggers 1 wire dipsey 1 braided dipsey 300 copper and 10 color leadcore.  The riggers were parked at 50' and 60' pulling spoons.  the dispeys the copper and the leadcore were all pulling spin docotrs and flies.  i trolled nw out to 80' then back into 60' before i picked up.  i took 1 good shot on the wire dipsey back 150' on 3 setting pulling glow with green dot sd and glow hammertime fly.  he ripped out to  500' then as i started to win the fight the wire broke i lost the everything.  There must have been a kink in the wire but im pretty anal about always checking my wire and leaders before i set it out.  all well i must have missed something. it was a nice evening to spend on the lake.  Im hoping for 1 last trip tomorrow morning.  i plan on heading deep to get away from the crowds and to find smaller kings and steelies if the weather let

Sounds like your outting started out crappie, but you still got the happy ending!  I snapped awire just as you did, definitely leaves you scratching your head.  I still wonder how big that fish was, and so will you. Goodluck!

Last year I had 2sets of spinneys/fly on the down riggers and apparently they tangled in the releases or the weights and when I pulled the lines they busted off and they were brand new out of the package that day ....and then this season...a couple of Seth Green rig lines with spoons and sinker bead chains (among other things) etc. ....all part of the "fun" :lol: I made the mistake of mentioning it to my wife ....her response was "Why is it  that all your hobbies are so expensive"?

Edited by Sk8man