Blue pike?

Matt Bedient

Walleye but different strain and/or different diet?

Walleyes are noted for being able to change color. Put a live one in a white cooler of water and you'll see what I mean. That said, I seriously doubt that is a blue pike. Most likely a different "shade" due to its surroundings before it died. However, I think only a DNA test could prove it either way.

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_walleye

They've been gone for 30 years and "[t]o date, none of the bluish-coloured walleyes recently captured has been shown to be a blue walleye" and "ubsequent exhaustive efforts to find a relict population have been entirely unsucessful".  It is now considered extinct. Unfortunately.  Pretty cool anyway!

edit: fixed link

Edited by hermit

I think Paul hit the nail on the head....thinking back on some of the ones I've kept in the cooler overnight to filet in the AM (fished at night) I did notice the change in coloration....good info....

I think Paul hit the nail on the head....thinking back on some of the ones I've kept in the cooler overnight to filet in the AM (fished at night) I did notice the change in coloration....good info....

I bet it will taste the same as the others!

I was told the walleyes come in blue, black, and green with Green being normal.  I caught one that was blue grey a few years back and I kick myself for not getting a better picture of it.  Like stated above, they (Blue) are supposedly extinct.  Probably all the same fish with a slightly altered dna makeup.  Kinda like when they say it affects 1 in every 100 000.  I caught a perch once with walleye markings.  I have a decent picture of that somewhere.

Joe

I once caught a pike that was blue in the St Lawrence. Also caught a pike that was black with white eyes. Took it to DEC in Cape Vincent and they said it was black because it went blind (white eyes were the clue) and lost its color due to the fact it was staying towards the surface and not it the weeds.

A friend of mine foul-hooked a walleye that was blue in the Oak Orchard years ago while steelhead fishing.  It was so blue that I called the DEC and spoke to a fisheries guy.  He flatly said that all the blue pike are dead, and it was just a variation in color.  He was so uninterested in my question that he must have gotten calls like that all the time.

Years later, I was up in Canada and caught many walleye that were just as blue as a windex bottle.  i should look for the old print pictures, since you may find them interesting.

Back in the late 70's early 80's we fished a lake called O'sullivan in Quebec and it was a strictly fly in only lake and lodge, it was owned and operated buy a man named Ted Barklow. He was an American and all his help was native French and native Indians, I forget the tribal name, anyway it was 18 hours north of the US. border and 45minute float plane ride. We set up camp and went fishing what a trip of a life time, anyway back to the blue pike & walleye we caught blue walleye and brought them in and the native Indians went bananas we didn't know what the hell to make of all this and soon Ted came over to us and made us put the blue walleye's back. Later that night Ted came over to our cabin and explained that the blue walleye is some type of spiritual fish to the Indians and they don't want them harvested. He said that this lake was one of the few lakes that had the (true blood blue walleye) in it and that they are rare to catch in this lake. He wanted to know where we caught them, & how we caught them so he could restrict that area to NO FISH ZONE- he told us that they were next to extinct up here and they were trying to keep the blue walleye going by not taking any, We fished that lake for 20 years, every year 2nd week of June we had our trip booked. Then Ted retired back to the states and someone else took over, and the last 15years you could drive there via logging companies made roads, and people could bring there own boats with bigger motors and could get to many places in a day. When we first started to go there were wooden 14ft boats with 9.9 motors, you had to know where you were going for the night bite, because the lake was to big and with 9.9 motors you couldn't get to one end of the lake and back in one day. The last time we were up there,2002 there was still supposedly blue walleye in the lake.