My last weekend on Lake Ontario next weekend!

John Kelley

I think next weekend will be my last weekend of fishing on Lake Ontario.  My job is coming to a close at the end of November, and I want to get a little fishing in on Lake Erie, before I have to go home to South Dakota.  I want to take this time to thank all of the people and friends I have met up here at the Oak the past 2 salmon seasons.  You have really made living away from home for the last 2 years much easier on me.  I have made some awesome friends on the shores of Lake Ontario, and was awed by the friendly, open nature of the folks and charter captains of Oak Orchard.  I have caught thousands of salmon and steelhead, and now have personal bests for 6 different salmonid species:  30 pound 3 ounce King, 12 pound Coho, 14 pound 4 ounce Brown trout, 13 pound 3 ounce steelhead, 20 pound Lake trout, and a 10 pound Atlantic salmon, all courtesy of Lady Ontario!  Not too bad for two seasons of trolling!!  I want to thank Claude and Michele @ the Captains Cove, who bent over backwards to accommodate my crazy ass with a room every weekend, even when they had to juggle other guests to do it!!  I want to thank Carl Bish for treating me like an equal out on the lake, and actually asking my advice on things, instead of like a stupid weekend Googan!!  I also want to thank him for being a good friend and taking me hunting and inviting me to his daughter's graduation party!!  I want to Thank Shawn Burr, for also becoming a super friend, and an awesome fishing partner, even though he is a bit of a "Fancy Pants"!!LOL  I want to thank Tim Green for being my friend as well, and taking me to the Niagara Bar this Spring, and introducing me to some of his other fishing buddies!!  We definitely had some hilarious times, some awesome and interesting fishing times, and saw some ugly **** together as well!!  I also want to thank Andy(Orange Diablo) for being a great fishing friend, and for turning me onto Herring rigs.  Caught some of my biggest kings on those Twinkie rigs this summer.  Thanks Doug and Jan at the Lakeside Marina for keeping me fueled up and for always having the block ice I needed for my fish cooler. You will have to find someone new to be your biggest candy bar buyer next season!!LOL :lol:  I want to thank Ed Ball for his military service, and for being a great friend and fishing buddy!!  I wish I would have met you the summer before, Ed!!  I want to thank all of the people that were kind enough to fish in my boat with me, and put up with my cranky ass!!  I have loved every minute on Lake Ontario, even through all of the rough weather and storms!  If I forgot anyone's name or forgot to thank them, I apologize.  I also apologize to anyone if I pissed them off on the lake by turning in front of them or cut in too close behind them.  I tried to be as conscientious as possible at all times, but sometimes I didn't pay attention the way I should have.  I will miss everyone up there at the Oak, and the big lake herself.  I will miss the frantic calls and texting back and forth among my friends, when we dialed the fish in, and wanted to get the information out to each other as fast as possible.  I will miss the exchange of lures, colors depths, speeds, etc., and the exchange of pics at the end of a long day.  I will miss trying to get out on the water by 5:00 a.m. to be set up and trolling before the barrage of charter boats would come flying out of the creek, and knock my little boat this way and that!LOL :)  I will miss all of the salmon fishermen camaraderie, both on the lake, and back at the motel at night.  Most of all, I will miss all of my new friends, and the big Chinook salmon we all love to pursuit!!  If you see my little white Tracker Tundra open bow boat with the 200 Optimax next weekend, please wave and bid me farewell.  Middle finger waves will also be accepted, I guess!! :lol:  :rofl:   Goodbye my New York friends, this has been, without a doubt, the greatest fishing experience of my life, and I will never forget it or you!!!  Thank you!!!! :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Edited by John Kelley

You were the best bird dogger out there.....who am I gonna get to slide into 20' and look for browns or run out to the 33N to find offshore kings??

Saving a salute for you next weekend!

Ha, you will have to rely solely on ED for that now, mister Captain!!LOL :rofl:  :rofl:  :lol:  :lol:

Why are you leaving NY, for SD. is your family there? sounds like you got a nice family HERE!!, I don't know you, but I did read some of your posts. You speak like a man with prestige, and dignity. Like I said I don't know you and your departure speech certainly hit some soft spots on me, I'm sure the folks you know will have difficulty seeing you off. Take care of yourself and your family and your welcome to come fish my boat anytime, all though we will be seeking mostly walleyes LOL. good luck PAP.

Ahoy,mate....glade i could give you a good day of fishing,i enjoyed your fishing company. Thank you for all that you have done for others. Now that i'm wiping the tears away from your saying "good-bye". Think of it like this...we will always be here when you return....and i'm sure you will,once you get the big bite of the big"O"how can you not return someday,and we will all welcome you back.It has been my pleasure to have meant you,and god willing we will fish again,be careful in your travels stay safe and take care of yourself. I'll be looking forward to some mule deer hunting out there or some big walleye fishing!! Please stay in contact,we will tex you the up coming fishing reports,stay well my friend ,and stay safe....OH by the way...."BITE-ME" :hi:  :lol:  :mooning:  :yes: .....your friend ED

Why are you leaving NY, for SD. is your family there? sounds like you got a nice family HERE!!, I don't know you, but I did read some of your posts. You speak like a man with prestige, and dignity. Like I said I don't know you and your departure speech certainly hit some soft spots on me, I'm sure the folks you know will have difficulty seeing you off. Take care of yourself and your family and your welcome to come fish my boat anytime, all though we will be seeking mostly walleyes LOL. good luck PAP.

Yes sir, I was only out here working for a couple of years on loan.  My house and home are in Madison, SD, but I would surely like to stay if I could!  I consider these people my second family for sure!!  I really appreciate the kind words, PAP.  Thanks!!  :)  :)

Thank you sir, and good luck in yours as well!!

Hey John, Unfortunately I two have not had the pleasure of meeting you, but after  these posts i feel like i just did. I have read many of your past post and enjoyed them thoroughly. May the spirit of the lake be with you!  Regards

Where in SoDak do you live? I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB in the late 70's early 80's. My two sons still live there. One in Box Elder and one in Hermosa. Used fish Angastora for walleye all the time.

I live on the other side of the state, north of Sioux Falls.

Hey man - you can't leave!  Lake O needs you and more quality fisherman like you!  Seems to me that you left out the times you stopped fishing to lend a hand to a boater in distress and towing a few in. :yes:  :yes:

John battling a king in his "fightin chair"

post-140858-0-97488100-1379940008_thumb.jpg

THANK YOU John for being a great friend and fishin buddy.  We've had a lot of laughs, caught a lot of fish, shared a bunch of stories, and just plain had some good times.  I sure am going to miss our "strategizing" texts and phone calls.  I hope you will be able to get back up here and fish with us as you know you'll always have a place to stay and a boat to fish on.  You're a class act bud!  Keep in touch.

Shawn

Edited by FX

John you're a class act and it has been great getting to know you over the past couple years. I don't know anyone crazier than you when it comes to fishing. Really who is die hard enough to only come off the water to put the boat on the trailer to drai n the water because you have taken waves over the bow just so you can head back out and keep fishing. You will be greatly missed however our fisheries will be thankful lol. When you come back to NY your always welcome on my boat anytime.

Wishing fair winds and following seas. Thank you for your service to this great country.

Tim

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey man - you can't leave!  Lake O needs you and more quality fisherman like you!  Seems to me that you left out the times you stopped fishing to lend a hand to a boater in distress and towing a few in. :yes:  :yes:

THANK YOU John for being a great friend and fishin buddy.  We've had a lot of laughs, caught a lot of fish, shared a bunch of stories, and just plain had some good times.  I sure am going to miss our "strategizing" texts and phone calls.  I hope you will be able to get back up here and fish with us as you know you'll always have a place to stay and a boat to fish on.  You're a class act bud!  Keep in touch.

Shawn

I will also have to extend an invitation to come on out and hunt and fish with me on the prairie some time, Shawn!!  I have really enjoyed these last two seasons, "rippin' their lips off with you" Don't forget to make up new names of lures, like flapjack you know what fly!!!LOL :rofl:  :rofl:  :lol:  :lol:

John you're a class act and it has been great getting to know you over the past couple years. I don't know anyone crazier than you when it comes to fishing. Really who is die hard enough to only come off the water to put the boat on the trailer to drai n the water because you have taken waves over the bow just so you can head back out and keep fishing. You will be greatly missed however our fisheries will be thankful lol. When you come back to NY your always welcome on my boat anytime.

Wishing fair winds and following seas. Thank you for your service to this great country.

Tim

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you sir Tim, I think I am blushing now!! That's all hearsay and conjecture, by the way!!LOL  If you ever want to go chase pheasants around the prairie, pound some Missouri river walleyes or go find some Mule deer, look me up, brother! :)

Hey John, thanks a bunch for takin me out a few times the last two years, had a great time and always learned something, like how to handle that Tracker in solid 4s the last time we were out.  You still have probably the best story of catching yout first 30lber....solo, and without a net.  that's gunna be hard to top.  Whenever you come back (and we all know you will), you're welcome on the boat anytime!!!

Hey John, thanks a bunch for takin me out a few times the last two years, had a great time and always learned something, like how to handle that Tracker in solid 4s the last time we were out.  You still have probably the best story of catching yout first 30lber....solo, and without a net.  that's gunna be hard to top.  Whenever you come back (and we all know you will), you're welcome on the boat anytime!!!

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it, buddy!! :)