Fall st. lawrence muskys?

Ever year myself and a group of friends make the trip up to the eastern shore of lake Ontario, for a sort of cast and blast weekend. We are trying to catch ONE larry musky. Last year after a long day, 1st trying to get the boat in the water(there was none) we fished hard around Carleton island. not even a bump. The weeds were terrible just free floating around, it was hard to keep a bait in the water for more than a minute. I was curious if this year is looking the same with the weeds? and if Carleton island is a good place to start again? hows the water levels? Any pointers would be great we will be up oct 5th thru the 12th. Thanks.

I usually make an 8 hour trip from Massachusetts to Chautauqua Lake every year in the fall, it's a great musky lake. Most guys speed troll leadcore with huge crankbaits like Legend Perchbaits, Baker Baits and Wiley's. Chautauqua also has those weed pods floating around on top so I see a lot of Down East Rod Holders that allow the rod tip to be tilted down in the water. If you should catch some weeds on the rod, simply pick up the rods and shake them off.

hey gert...i`ll be heading up there friday night sept 27 for the wknd to distribute flyers for our muskies inc meeting/outing in oct in clayton and i will be doing some trolling and casting in that area and i`ll let ya know the conditions and the outcome of the trip.Got some new toothy`s and bakers i`m itch`n to get wet.I`ll more than likely launch outta cedar pt or prescision marine(keeping my boat there for mid oct/nov so i don`t have to haul it back and forth).will post when i get back sun.

sol

Ever year myself and a group of friends make the trip up to the eastern shore of lake Ontario, for a sort of cast and blast weekend. We are trying to catch ONE larry musky. Last year after a long day, 1st trying to get the boat in the water(there was none) we fished hard around Carleton island. not even a bump. The weeds were terrible just free floating around, it was hard to keep a bait in the water for more than a minute. I was curious if this year is looking the same with the weeds? and if Carleton island is a good place to start again? hows the water levels? Any pointers would be great we will be up oct 5th thru the 12th. Thanks.

Carleton Island, Tibbets point, Featherbed shoals, and Hinckley shoals are some of our favorite musky hunts in October-early November ! The weeds sure suck. Keep an eye on "The big picture" and you can usually determine what bay they are blowing out of, and relocate to a less weedy area for the day. All we do is troll...Keeping the rigs weed free is the hardest part of it, but the most important.    " Not even a bump"  ?  That's St Larry musky hunting !  Nothing happens...UNTIL IT DOES.  :lol:

hey gert...i`ll be heading up there friday night sept 27 for the wknd to distribute flyers for our muskies inc meeting/outing in oct in clayton and i will be doing some trolling and casting in that area and i`ll let ya know the conditions and the outcome of the trip.Got some new toothy`s and bakers i`m itch`n to get wet.I`ll more than likely launch outta cedar pt or prescision marine(keeping my boat there for mid oct/nov so i don`t have to haul it back and forth).will post when i get back sun.

sol

sol

Good luck this weekend!!  See you at the Mark Troy tournament. I will be there Fri. afternoon through Sun.

Steve G.

fishing was`nt good but did learn a few new areas.Water temps were 65 and the floating grass was`nt too bad.Still a pain though.Launched from cape vincent and fished down to tibbets point were i marked the only fish.Those were stuck on the bottom and did`nt look like muskie.Wound up fishing grenadier island area the rest of the day with nothing but a small pike that thought he was big by going after a cowgirl in mud bay.Heard of one muskie caught off tibbets a couple days prior and another around wilson bay,that was it.Pulling mr.toothy`s,depthraiders and muskellunchs around and lost one scotty rod holder off grenadier.Sorry not much info but hope it helps.

Bob

I trolled for musky yesterday for my first time ever yesterday , with some friends that are musky fanatics.We trolled for many hours around the grindstone and in canadian water too.No hits...but did learn a lot, and had a great day bs' n andchanging lures and cleaning lines of grass and weeds etc..Saw some Big marksand tons of loons.I was really pumped and the anticipation of hooking one made the time fly by.Plus the fact that they landed a beautifully marked 36" fish the day before (monday) on a "believer" lure.I looked at that picture probably 10 times yesterday.Oh well, I guess I got to put my time in and pay my dues before I catch my first musky.I am going to try again next mon or tuesday...good luck to you all.

thanks raaven, haha I know not even a bump. Down here me get a few short strikes and some how don't hook up. Im certainly hoping we can have something happen this year.

hi gert...I'm new to this musky game...but thrre is an interesting article on fall musky fishing in the latest issue of new york outdoor news (oct. 4) .They adress those short strikes with no hook up, and what to do to get those biters hooked up. Good luck this fall.

fishing was`nt good but did learn a few new areas.Water temps were 65 and the floating grass was`nt too bad.Still a pain though.Launched from cape vincent and fished down to tibbets point were i marked the only fish.Those were stuck on the bottom and did`nt look like muskie.Wound up fishing grenadier island area the rest of the day with nothing but a small pike that thought he was big by going after a cowgirl in mud bay.Heard of one muskie caught off tibbets a couple days prior and another around wilson bay,that was it.Pulling mr.toothy`s,depthraiders and muskellunchs around and lost one scotty rod holder off grenadier.Sorry not much info but hope it helps.

Bob

We are moving the Waterwolf from Oz-Clayton tomorrow! Plan on running the Lake to Grenadier..then setting up for the first musky troll of our season. Normally this trip would be my turn "on the rod"....but we sold it this year......mixed feelings about that...But I hope we hook up a good one for our client!  :) Wide awake, can't sleep....AND SO IT BEGINS. 

I trolled for musky yesterday for my first time ever yesterday , with some friends that are musky fanatics.We trolled for many hours around the grindstone and in canadian water too.No hits...but did learn a lot, and had a great day bs' n andchanging lures and cleaning lines of grass and weeds etc..Saw some Big marksand tons of loons.I was really pumped and the anticipation of hooking one made the time fly by.Plus the fact that they landed a beautifully marked 36" fish the day before (monday) on a "believer" lure.I looked at that picture probably 10 times yesterday.Oh well, I guess I got to put my time in and pay my dues before I catch my first musky.I am going to try again next mon or tuesday...good luck to you all.

Muskie hunting is an absolutely addicting sport. Be patient. In this muskie fishing economy, the top 3% of anglers are averaging a fish every 35-40 hrs. This is frustrating considering 10 years ago the average was a fish every 12-15hrs. The dynamics are changing a bit but thats what makes muskie hunting fun. Also, this years DEC sampling indicates improved population densities which should improve fishing in coming years. Keep at it and good luck!!!!

What abeautiful day today on the st lawrence.I trolled again with my friends along the grindstone, wolf and howe islands. Things went like last week, some big marks, bait, and lots of loons.Changing lures, cleaning lines of weeds for hours with no strikes.Then it finally happened on hour #7...vicious, violent strike...Igrabbed the rod and it was game on! It thrashed, shookand ran the counter to 210, dove down deeper as they were clearing lines and riggers.....fish turned and igot back 40 feet of line...it stopped and thumped and shook some more when the line went slack..gone!( But not forgotten)It was really thrilling to hook and fight my first musky....now I need to land one!!! Maybe tomorrow...we are going to fish the same waters....I can't wait!

I've never tried for musky on my home water as I generally switch over to hunting in the fall. I took my wife and brother for a river tour yesterday packing a picnic and bottle of wine to celebrate my wife's birthday. Trolled Td 11 for about a half hour and caught three pike and I may have to put in some time to try for a musky. Lots of floating weeds and loons.

Man...that sounds like a heartbreaking loss.  At least you are keeping a good attitude about it.  Based on where you are fishing and the big head shakes you describe, that was probably a big fish.  Keep at it.  Sometimes there's nothing you can do.  Sometimes they just don't get hooked well enough initially and come unbuttoned.

I bet you'll be talking about your first release soon.  You are lucky to have some friends to show you the ropes.  Good luck.

Esoxac...you are right...that fish is haunting me, last night and all day today.Ivan, I'm going to have to wait and fish a little longer to get to touch, then release a musky.We fished today for 8 hours..some new water too...no strikestoday.But did hear of a few hooked and 1 landed by their friend that was 50 inches this morning.You are right, I am lucky to have friends showing me the ropes. I hope to fish with them early next week..good luck to you all.

Justtracytrolling...every musky must be SUPER special!!! I hope I can land one sometime this season!

KJL..your home river is an amazing, and challenging river.My friends have had their camp on the st lawrence for 33 years, between clayton and Alex bay....the stories and old pictures are really something.I hope to spend a lot more time up there to learn how to fish it. Good luck t you and hope you get some nice muskies too.

Justtracytrolling...every musky must be SUPER special!!! I hope I can land one sometime this season!

KJL..your home river is an amazing, and challenging river.My friends have had their camp on the st lawrence for 33 years, between clayton and Alex bay....the stories and old pictures are really something.I hope to spend a lot more time up there to learn how to fish it. Good luck t you and hope you get some nice muskies too.

Last Thursday, I moved the Rise Up, from Oswego to Clayton, in preparation of owner Capt. Kevin Murphy's upcoming musky season. 

We had a couple friends from the Rochester area join us for the ride.

After running across the lake we set up at Carleton island, and switched over the salmon gear, to musky gear. it only took a few minutes of trolling for a flat line pulling a Green Swim Whizz to connect to this 43 inch musky, out in 50 F.O.W. !  :)

Here is happy angler Chris, with his first St.Larry musky.

032_zps470bc220.jpg

Capt. Kevin on the swim platform, patiently pampering the fish back into a successful release! 

037_zps900c24af.jpg