Conesus,9/25

Water temp mid 60's. pike were hungry early and then it slowed as the day went bluebird.post-142867-13801551591381_thumb.jpgpost-142867-13801551801555_thumb.jpgwe boated 6 pike and 2 bass. Nothing great. All caught on spoons,been a good bait so far this fall. Caught 2 near the launch,2 near kosaka's place and 2 at the south end.post-142867-13801554230456_thumb.jpg this pike has a broken jaw from a boga. If you use one of these remember to get a hand under the fish's belly before lifting it. No way this pike's lower jaw works as it should. Didn't see any tigers again.

Sweet! Those Tigers sure can really be elusive but so can the pike when they aren't in "the mood" :)  Nice pics too....that one with the steam coming off the water almost looks like he is standing in front of a painting (ie. the beautiful backdrop).

I would never use a Boga grip for any freshwater fish. Maybe it can be useful with some saltwater fish. I have seen some videos of musky fishermen literally yanking them out if the water with a Boga grip and then releasing the fish. You can easilly damage the fish's jaw that way.

Edited by muskiedreams

Nice job old man!  Re: the boga, I have been using a boga pretty regularly for 10+ years. I used to live in SW Florida and starting using it down there chasing snook and reds.    For me it makes handling some fish like pike or kings a hell of a lot easier.  You have to use common sense though and always support the weight of the fish with your other hand like Old man said (especially when lifting).   I have never injured a fish (that I know of or could see) through proper handling with a boga.  The boga knock offs (rapala in particular) are another story.  The grips are much sharper and can easily puncture the lower jaw.  IMO- use the name brand Boga (much better quality anyway.. will last a lifetime) and treat the fish with care/respect and you should be good to go.

I saw the first pic.  Hey!  that's my spot!  Haha.  I mean I like it there too.  :)

I was going to get a boga to help me control the fish from hurting themselves flopping around.  I got the rubber net (big improvement) and it seems that with all that teeth a boga would help calm them down some.  I didn't think about it possibly hurting the fish.  I thought it would come in useful with the 18-20 inch chains.  They are small enough that it is hard to subdue them and big enough to get you with gill plates (or the business end).  I got a few nicks this year.  Not a fan.

A Boga Grip is a great tool...if used properly.  I have two in my boat and use them all the time.  I use them to hold the fish in the net while I unhook them.  I also use them to take the fish from the net to my bump board, but I always support the weight of the fish with my free hand.  I also use them to hold the fish in the water for release rather than trying to grip a slippery tail and have the fish slip from your grasp before it is ready to swim off.

If you catch and handle a bunch of muskies, you run the risk of cuts, getting hooked, broken bones, infections, etc. Trust me...I've had them all. A Boga Grip can be a good tool to reduce these risks and is still safe for the fish if used properly. The key is to not let the fish hang from the Boga and support it's weight.

The proper use of a Boga is really no different than making sure other steps in the release process are done properly.

I didn't mean to trash bogas, just getting the word out that like any tool they can be used wrong. There is a facebook page called "european pike protection alliance". They are on a mission to ban bogas in europe. They post pictures of damaged pike and trash bogas. And they post pictures of bad holds and trash the holder. I get it because i like seeing the pike photos. "Lucky lures" in holland is another facebook page you may enjoy. Great photos. They catch some gnarly northerns over there!

I saw the first pic. Hey! that's my spot! Haha. I mean I like it there too. :)

I was going to get a boga to help me control the fish from hurting themselves flopping around. I got the rubber net (big improvement) and it seems that with all that teeth a boga would help calm them down some. I didn't think about it possibly hurting the fish. I thought it would come in useful with the 18-20 inch chains. They are small enough that it is hard to subdue them and big enough to get you with gill plates (or the business end). I got a few nicks this year. Not a fan.

that one was under the dock with the diving board on it

I didn't think you were bashing Bogas Old Man. I think you made a good point about making sure they are used correctly. I don't have much experience with pike. Maybe their jaws aren't as strong as muskies but if used properly, I don't think a Boga should be harmful to pike either.

I always figured that a boga used correctly would be handy, but because I didnt know if it would cause damage to the fish I opted for using gloves. I guess ive seen too many pics of pike and muskies hanging from a boga. Wish more fisherman would do their homework.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app