otisco launch

Guys-  Gonna be visiting the inlaws out that way this weekend and figured I would drag the boat with me and try for tigers in otisco.  I have only been there once a few years ago and was in a kayak.   What is the preferred launch over there?  Marina or the campground (those are still the only 2 options right?).  18ft Tracker deep V.   Thanks

Joe are you a walleye fisherman, according to Justracytrolling the walleye are a good target also, please post if you do or don't catch anything. He trolls perch lures at night for walleyes, might even pick a musky that way also, as he sometimes has wicked hits at night that tear him off, could be those toothy critters. Good luck, I'd love to hit that lake for a couple of days next year.

I've used both, I'm partial to the marina only because its closer to where I fish (not by much) but it's a tight turn around/launch and parking can be a pain. The campground is easier to launch but you have to travel a little farther in the boat, which may or may not matter to you.

I've used both, I'm partial to the marina only because its closer to where I fish (not by much) but it's a tight turn around/launch and parking can be a pain. The campground is easier to launch but you have to travel a little farther in the boat, which may or may not matter to you.

If the campground is easier then the marina that's the one I would use. I have NO patience for those clowns that can't get their boat in the water, 10-15 minutes to back down in the water, then remember they didn't put in the plug, still got the straps on the boat to the trailer, WTF get out of the way I've got fishing to do and so I rather run 1 or 2 miles over the water to avoid that scenario. JMO.

I have a good relationship with ryfuns (campground) and keep my boat on their personal dock, and stay there all summer.  That being said I get my gas at the marina and enjoy talking fishing with the  guys there and have no problems there either.  In my opinion Ryfuns have a better launch, better parking, bathrooms, showers, allow fish cleaning, and have a store, and most importantly a safer area to launch as the marina is way to close to the road. As far as run time goes my boat only goes 9 mph and i can have lines in less than 10 minutes from pulling away from the dock.  Either place treats me very well, and I have to say the marina stayed open late for me twice so I could get gas and last year the water was so low we had to use the marina.  1 final consideration is the causeway,  some people arent comfortable going thru even though is plenty wide and  thanks to captain eyes it has lit bouys.

justin

Just wondering what the spring walleye program is. First Saturday in May is the opener, our camp grounds open up the Saturday before the walleye open, since the Black River Basin is super for walleye depending on what mother nature throws at us, lately they have spawned and headed towards deeper water, but if it's a cold spring and they are still in the bay, I was thinking of hitting Otisco for a few days before going up to the big pond, I did some research on the lake and they certainly got their game going on. I was surprised that it is only 6 miles long and 3/4mile wide that's about the size of our local lake which is 8 miles long. That's still enough water to stump you. Do you guys know any place to stay locally. If not I have a outfitters tent, and will make due with that in the campground, got wood stove and all, wouldn't be the first time I spent a week in it with 3 other guys. Also does the lake have a motor size limit ours doesn't, I didn't see anything but that's not to say it doesn't. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks PAP. 

Pap,

There are 2 2 bedroom cabins with kitchens and a bath and 4 1 room cabins both sleep 4 no prob.  No motor restrictions and its alot like fall in that its more of a night bite and casting can be awesome, but VERY spot specific.  I only fish daytime with tracy so its slow, but the walleye in my profile pic is a may daytime 9 pounder.   I did ok evenings and early  morn, but if I have guys up nighttime is better.  I sent you a PM as to the exact weekend you want.

justin

well spent a solid 8 hrs 7-3 mostly casting w/some trolling and...zippo. i am very stubborn and was throwing mostly bigger baits lookin for big mama. saw a smaller tiger porpoise across my bow right off the bat and then had a nice rip trolling suspended bait pods later in the day with nobody home. oh well thats muskie fishin and sure as hell beats workin.

launched at campground- nice spot and parking situation was much better than at the marina. think i may check out oneida for bass/whatnot tomorrow while i have my boat out here just for somethin different

We've gotten quite a few nice fish running 6-8" baits but this year has been way off for what we are used to there.

Even the bass were off somewhat, I would say the bass were above average this year but there were spots that you used to be able to sit on and get hit after hit with smallies and not even see a fish.

Fall tigers have been a little more tricky for us but we don't fish them as much and our normal spots are choked out with weeds so I'm not sure if that's a good observation or not.

I bought lots of baits that size and a few larger and have never gotten a thing. Im a big bait guy by nature but if I had to catch a tiger at otisco id run smaller stuff. I will say I basically focus on deeper water and stay outside the weedline. Fall is also not good for me on tigers, but ive slowed for walleye. Summer when its super hot is by far the best, but then its VERY tough to get a safe release. Challenging and rewarding is how id describe Otisco.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app