Wat boats do u use on Lake Ontario

terry8889

It depends on what you have to spend and what size boat your comfortable piloting. You can get a late 80s early 90s 25ish foot Sea Ray for around $8-12k. That would honestly be my recommendation or maybe a Thompson 240 you can pick them up pretty cheap too. If your not comfortable with something that big I'd go with a 20 or so foot Aluminum Lund.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would get a 16 or 17 foot aluminum boat and use it on a smaller fingerlake for a season. That will give you a basic idea of what boats can and will do

If you feel comfortable and safe with that, you can start looking into going out on Lake Ontario with a bigger and heavier boat that is still towable,say a 19 to 21 foot aluminum boat.

Once you have done all of that, you will probably know what you can handle and what you want.

Edited by rolmops

I have a 21' Bayliner hardtop& a 16 Aluminun Bass type . I started out w/ a 17 wooden & did an awfull lot of fishing out of it.

If you like to fish for everything,Like Rolmops, I suggest a 16-18 deep V open  aluminum. You can put a trolling motor on it for bass & pike, Run boards for spring fishing, Get a few small riggers   & run some dipseys off it.Easy to trailer & good on gas . Have to be carefull out on LO but if you use your head ,you will be safe.

See boats like that for sale all the time on Craigslist like that . Try to get a motor less than 20 years old.

Bahahaha no I just push my self to do stupid stuff sometimes such as we went trolling on Seneca with 40mph winds out of the south which makes for a bumpy ride or we trolled kueka last year threw a tornado warning and that was 40+mph out of the south and we were at the end of the branch port arm always like to test the people I have on board

This is just my opinion but I basically agree with rollmops.  Id start on a smaller body of water and get some experience.  I've had very close calls in my 4 years of boating on Cayuga.  Looking back I'm glad I wasn't on bigger water.