Fall Rigs?

hermit

Hi all, I'm heading for a perch trip on Cayuga Sunday.  It's been quite a while since I've gone for perch and I'm rusty on details.  Any tips on rigs or depth for this time of year?  We're going to use minnows primarily but I'm open to suggestions on other bait.  So far I'm thinking either a drop-shot setup or small jig, maybe with another hook 12" up or so. Hooks on main line or short leader?  Thanks for any help!

Alec

4 lb test either mono or firewire with  2-3 ft. fuoro (4 lb) leader with 2 gold hooks (Aberdeen Mustads - fine wire small barbs)  tied directly to the leader no loops about 8 inches off bottom and18-20 inches up for the second and a small sinker (1/4 to 5/8 th oz at bottom) Drift with it until you find them then repeat or anchor a distance away from them and cast back into them. They are on their way in (next couple weeks?) so I'd start at 20-25 ft or so and work back in at the outer edge of the weedlines drifting

Edited by Sk8man

Cool thanks Les.  Could I get away with a long leader on heavier line?  I  don't have any spools of 4lb on hand but I do have some leader material, Seaguar fluoro 0.148 mm (0.006") that's rated 4.8 lbs.  In aberdeen style I have 10s (probably too small) and 2s (probably too big).  I do have some 1/32 jigs on size 6 but then can't tie them on the shank.  Hmmm doubt Wallyworld has aberdeen hooks.

Edit: totally wrong about hooks I had.

Edited by hermit

The 10's should be OK I use 8's a lot. The lighter line really helps feel the light biters but I'd just use a longer leader maybe (as far as visibility). The thing about the hooks is that the small fish are easier to get off and release with the shallow barb of the Aberdeen and the thin wire on the hooks helps with them not detecting it when biting. The #10's should work fine ....just may have some swallow the hook.

P.S. In a pinch I have used #6 or 8 salmon egg hooks tied directly to the line (used to use dropper loops but felt that I couldn't feel them as well) If use shorter shank hooks bring needle nose pliers.

Edited by Sk8man

Hey weatherman

My nephew and I have been catching quite a few decent perch in 45 to 58 fow which I thought was way too deep but they were there. Went today and did a bunch of dink smallies between the perch. Freakin minnows thieves. The drop shot was the way to go I was running straight 4lb Seaguar with two no. 6 octopus egg hooks and perch minnows but half a crawler on each hook worked just as well. The 1" gulp minnows worked to.

post-139515-13803278852677_thumb.jpg

Hey okuma nice pile!  I'll be plenty happy with even half that, couple big beauties in there too.  It's got to be around 8 years since I've gone for perch and nearly all my experience has been through the ice so this will be a lot of fun.  I have plenty of octopus hooks, good to know and we'll be sure to look in various depths.

Absolut40 thanks for the link, I was wondering about a rig like that, think I'll rig up one of those and another the other way and play around a bit.  Cool plenty to work with here, thanks all!  I'll report back one way or another.

Edited by hermit