Seneca perch

rbonnell

I hate to say it but you may not get much valuable info on that ....the guys who are really "into them " will hardly ever say so....kinda like the stream fishing stuff.....worried about spot burning etc. Perch fishermen have always been a rather"secretive" lot on Seneca (myself included) :lol:

I hate to say it but you may not get much valuable info on that ....the guys who are really "into them " will hardly ever say so....kinda like the stream fishing stuff.....worried about spot burning etc. Perch fishermen have always been a rather"secretive" lot on Seneca (myself included) :lol:

Why is that?  If you were coming to lk Erie I/we would tell you right where to go. Like now guys are getting them in 66 fow between the Catt. & Sturgeon pt.   I don't get the big secret, like one guy is going to get All the fish in the lake!  I have heard because the lake is so big & they are hard to find so don't tell anyone. I am pretty sure lake erie is a bit bigger than seneca.  bs imo.

:lol: Lineman sorry you took it to heart but  I was pretty much messing with the Seneca perch guys I've known for  about 30-40 years....if I had any current info that I obtained myself I would have posted it...I don't hold much back :)  Les

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Lineman-

I'm not a secretive sort of guy myself, but Erie and Seneca are different beasts. Seneca is too deep to fish effectively except near shore, and that can be literally only a couple of yards of water before you hit the dropoff. Combine that limited fishing area with ultra-clear water and spooky fish. Believe me, if I told you "right where to go" (and I don't know where to go, just to be clear), you wouldn't want to fish there.

When someone says they're "getting them" on the internet, suddenly there's an extra dozen boats running around the lake with binoculars checking out everybody who's fishing. It's one thing to share a school of perch, and another entirely to have a guy motor in on you to within casting distance, tangle your lines on his cast, and spook the school back to deep water (or lock-jaw). I can't imagine how bad it would be if you actually pinpointed a spot for the trolls.

That's the truth of the matter. It's not paranoia, it's fact. Seneca can be a really, really tough lake to fish. I know some good perch fisherman who struggle there. Maybe that frustration breeds a lack of respect? I've had more guys ruin my day there than anywhere else I know.

I'm happy to share general knowledge. Seneca can be excellent for perch in the fall, and I've heard of at least one good report. It's not the harvest that's going on at Erie right now, however. Good luck to anybody who gives it a shot!

Gator

Gator (as usual) is exactly "on the money" as far as the issues involved. When I referred to sharing info I was also talking in the "general" sense and I don't share info told to me by others.

a lot of the guys that really know seneca are not what you would call internet people so that contributes to the secrecy seneca is a tough lake for perch and it takes a lot of hours to be able to consistantly produce fish. 

The so-called "secret" to catching perch and especially "jumbos" that the old timers know is not truly a secret at all it is basically this: spend every available moment you can spare fishing specifically for them year in and year out for maybe 50 years or more learning their feeding habits , the transitions from one food source to another and when they occur, the patterns of their habits during the seasons and where their various food sources may be located, and their migration routes along and within the confines of the areas of weed beds in the areas of the lake that support them, and then "expect the unexpected"....you may be fishing them in 60-80 ft of water. Once you master that and think you have them figured out....think again....some new invasive species will be introduced that will change all the rules and start the learning curve all over again :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Try trolling for them towards the north end (north of the Belhurst hole). Use riggers with gold or silver trolling spoons like Suttons over 50-70fow about 40-55ft down. And it is easier in Erie, but, those Finger Lakes perch can be FAT and HUGE and colorful.....especially in Seneca.    :) 

Yeah Mike you want to try it with me? they love those big white jigs and actually fight the lakers to get at em :lol:  How did you do with the surf casting bud?

I'm game... ocean city was tough, that low psi that came up the seaboard gave a ne 10-20 wind the whole time. I ended up catching 5 blues snapper size, hit a party boat in the bay for flounder with a bunch of tuna bound guys that were green from trying to go out early. That was fun. Never seen so many guys get off boats that were sick, god bless them for trying. I'll have to put some pics on, even caught some eels. I'd do it again. I'm ready for some perchin now.