Seneca perch

rbonnell

Cool despite the problems.... that wind from NE is always a problem and it usually lasts a while on the coast. I was on a tuna boat with a bunch of guys out from San Diego in 2008 and it got a bit rough part way to Mexico and it was "barf city" for a bunch of them. Luckily I've never been affected by that stuff (thankfully) but like  you said they couldn't wait to get off the boat when we got back :)  I'm getting psyched up myself for the Sneaky Lake "greenies". Les

Always got good info at Roys marina on where to fish for perch.They were more than happy to cue others in on the fishing.Usualy Glass factory bay or across the lake is good.

The perch do spook easy so caution is advised in approaching other boats.

Well guys, I haved lived on and fished Seneca all my life and I'll be glad to tell you why we keep the perch fishing a secret.  I've seen many times where outsiders come here and take perch by the bushel basket full just to go and sell them to a fish market or local restaurant. Bag limits mean nothing to these people!!!  Game wardens almost don't exist around here, I have not seen one in a couple of years or more. This is a very delicate fishery and it takes a long time to grow a 2lb. perch. Ican't blame people for being a little pissed off about not being able to get a little friendly info, but when the same boat anchors in front of my house for 9-10 hrs a day for 4 days straight and fills 3 100qt coolers, that is going just to far. I met these guys at Sampson State Park and expressed my opinion of them, they told they didn't care about the 50 fish limit and to go F off. Game warden didn't seem to care either.  This happens all over the lake and its not right, I enjoy seeing fishermen from all over coming to Seneca, but there is a small group that has the locals riled up, sorry we are like that, but how would you like it if I traveled to your local lake and had no regard for the law or the local people that live here.

Something that might be of relevance : Seneca lake reportedly has 43,343 acres of surface area and the shore length is 75.4 miles and it is contained within 4 counties.....not exactly a pond or stream.....

:lol: Lineman sorry you took it to heart but  I was pretty much messing with the Seneca perch guys I've known for  about 30-40 years....if I had any current info that I obtained myself I would have posted it...I don't hold much back :)  Les

i can speek in sk8mans defense, he has helped me out a couple times in the last year. thanks les

Thanks Steeley Dan... but no need....I think Lineman and I are squared away on the issue.....and I understand his viewpoint.....Thanks again though. Les

Like one mentioned Seneca is a huge body of water but a lot of it is very difficult to fish, I can understand why the guys are tight lipped about the perch, especially when one fellow mentioned that a boat sat right in front of his house and filled 3 100qt coolers full of fish, that's mucho perch, that has to put a hurting on the perch population. The other thing is one who puts countless hours in figuring these fishes routine, feeding habits, size baits at certain times of the year and their migration patterns ect. ect. should be rewarded with a nice catch of fish. One other post on the walleye forum one mentioned he burned $700.00 in fuel that one week to figure these fish out. I used to get pi$$ed off to but now I understand why it is the way it is. I figured that these guys live on the lake and have the time to do the research and us guys that live hours away and only get to fish a few times, and this sites (claim to fame is to help each other out) but why won't they help me I only want to catch a fish. So if someone tells you were to go, he's afraid you will tell a friend and then the snow ball effect come into play. It's not that there being pricks at all, they are only trying to protect the fishery from those who will abuse it. One thing to keep in mind as a fisherman, and this holds true to any body of water is 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water, if you keep that in mind you will figure out the fish a lot quicker.

Absolutely right about the 90%-10% thing pap..... and dick black ......thanx for that observation and sharing it. I am jealous of any one who has a place on one of the Fingers; especially Seneca which is not like "the city around the lake" as Kueka is with all of the close abodes around its shorelines. But these and other lakes in our state do continue to support and grow great fish populations with variety and quality despite the heavy hand of  man. I've said before and I'll say it again... It's the real cheaters, the completely ignorant, the careless  polluters, the over harvesters, the poachers, etc. who get greedy and selfish and think they can do whatever the heck they want and it will never make a difference because they could care less, really, who make it tough for all. Watching meat fisherman trying to make a financial killing through illegal over-harvest is what generations have been trying to  rectify the damages of for years now. And there are still plenty who believe and justify to themselves with all manner of reasons why they feel it is their right to take it all and to hell with tomorrow or anyone else. I think that money/greed is the root of most of that evil and always has been. :thinking: .....rant over.....Hope none of you "tight lippers" don't think by making a suggestion of how one might catch some perch take offense. The real cheaters already know how to get what they want and have a different compass...... :speechless:

The issue is not really about folks who live on the lake vs. people that come from other places to fish though. I too have fished Seneca all my life including well over 50 years of trolling and perch fishing in particular. There are also folks who live on the lake (I'm not directing this at Dick in any way whatsoever either) that catch many limits of both trout and perch and take them back into their place and go back out and get more time after time after time all year long. I've seen it personally and have reported it in the past. Some sell the perch to local restaurants in the area as they are legal to sell. This is especially prevalent in the late Fall and winter when there is very little detection by others possible (game wardens tied up with hunting, many boaters have put their boats away. most folks unaware that it is going on etc.) and the perch are schooled up. These people are very much aware of the perch habits, their locations, and what they are feeding on etc. because they can monitor them on a day to day basis. They are very effective "fishermen" but highly unethical "fishermen". The basic problem as I see it is GREED and a lack of caring about conserving resources or sharing. It is a HUMAN problem whether the folks come from other places or are locals. These folks are not true fishermen and don't deserve any respect whatsoever whether they are locals or "visitors".

Edited by Sk8man

Good point Sk8man....Those who have no respect for the limit are "on" the fish already and are already very efficient fishermen needing little or more likely no help to target perch. Its hard for the average person to realize how easy it is to over harvest if you fish almost daily. If you fish enough you get in on crazy runs where even fish like walleyes can be caught in huge numbers and it takes respect for the law to quit at the limit.

justin

The so-called "secret" to catching perch and especially "jumbos" that the old timers know is not truly a secret at all it is basically this: spend every available moment you can spare fishing specifically for them year in and year out for maybe 50 years or more learning their feeding habits , the transitions from one food source to another and when they occur, the patterns of their habits during the seasons and where their various food sources may be located, and their migration routes along and within the confines of the areas of weed beds in the areas of the lake that support them, and then "expect the unexpected"....you may be fishing them in 60-80 ft of water. Once you master that and think you have them figured out....think again....some new invasive species will be introduced that will change all the rules and start the learning curve all over again :lol:

. BINGO!!! You nailed it!!! Wish you would have told me that before my addiction to them took!!! Ha!

The "secret spot" changes with the wind as water temperatures from cold water upwellings move the perch just as seasonal temperature changes bring them closer to shore in the spring and fall. Your GPS numbers do not work from day to day. The perch choose which "pasture to feed upon" when water temperature changes. Most importantly a good fish finder, especially color, will indicate the presence of perch except in shallow water where your boat spooks the perch away. Then you have to depend on water temperatures to find them. Most important is that if there are no fish on the bottom of your screen, keep on looking for the "mother lode" where they are five foot solid. Perch hunting can take hours just like trolling consumes a lot of time.

Usually temperatures in the low sixties will hold perch and till ice forms where the bottom water temperature is highest at thirty nine degrees. Spawning in the spring brings them into warmer shoreline areas where they will release their eggs and milk till about forty eight degrees and then they will return to the open waters. Depleted oxygen waters from deep in the lakes will upwell at times with offshore winds and all fish will seek better environmental conditions. High winds with whitecap surface waters will bring the fish to suspend with better dissolved oxygen conditions in the summer months. A dissolved oxygen meter on your boat is something that will help eliminate search areas. No one has invented it yet.

Edited by jimski2

I haven't fished Lake Erie for perch so I can't comment on the habits or environmental conditions giving rise to good perch fishing there but experience on Seneca is a different matter.... the vital importance of temperature may not be so vital there. Seneca perch are not always bottom oriented - they can be suspended up 20 ft off bottom in 60 ft of water too or hugging the weeds in 6 ft. I have seen them packed in so tight under the ice in 34 degree water that they could barely move and you could not see between them...by the thousands (not hundreds) and not biting because they were absolutely stuffed with fresh water shrimp. They were in that particular spot because the fresh water shrimp were there regardless of water temperature. Many of the best perch fishermen I have known in the past (old timers) didn't even own depth finders let alone colored ones  or a GPS - they used their anchor ropes (with markings) to find general depths and their landmarks to "triangulate" and in the days before the 50 fish limit they came back in with a couple 5 gallon pails filled with huge perch. Perch  do spook easily in shallow water (and the fairly recent changes in water conditions and clarity because of invasive species has amplified this) and you can't just go cruising in under power and throw your anchor in the water and expect to "slaughter" them. With that said....my point is that although the technology may help (when you know how to effectively use it) it alone will not guarantee (or even lead to) success on Seneca, Perch like most fish will often be found out of their preferred water temperature mainly to feed on the different things available (they have a varied diet and it changes according to many factors including seasonal changes and availability). Perch will be found where their preferred food is and often where they feel safe from predators (in the weeds , suspended off drop-offs etc.). When they are "schooled up" they move often while finding food but usually short distances/depths from the day before. If you are able to "follow" them frequently  and understand their "habits" and patterns of migration (from depth to shallows and back) for males and females (usually the bigger ones) you will "score". This info  is pretty much intended as "perch 101 for "newbies" on Seneca and I haven't given away any "secrets" or "spots" so hopefully nobody will be offended :)  It should also be noted that it doesn't take anything away from Jimski's post either which has good info in it as well.

Edited by Sk8man

if your new to seneca perch and you dont have the time to fish regularly my advice is go to sodus i only get out on weekends and have spent many many hours of my life chasing perch and have at least the basics down. even though the last couple years i have concentrated on trolling trout.  that being said i have never done well for perch on seneca and have come to the conclusion that seneca just has to big of a learning curve for perch for the limited time i have. i have gotten them on canandaguia as well as I-bay sodus portbay in lake O and cayuga.  seneca is the only place i have never had a good perch day.  I know there there i just dont have enough days to dedicate to that lake.  if and when my scedual changes and i can fish a couple times a week i will definatly try the challange again but as i said at the begining best advice for perch on seneca drive north till you hit sodus

if your new to seneca perch and you dont have the time to fish regularly my advice is go to sodus i only get out on weekends and have spent many many hours of my life chasing perch and have at least the basics down. even though the last couple years i have concentrated on trolling trout. that being said i have never done well for perch on seneca and have come to the conclusion that seneca just has to big of a learning curve for perch for the limited time i have. i have gotten them on canandaguia as well as I-bay sodus portbay in lake O and cayuga. seneca is the only place i have never had a good perch day. I know there there i just dont have enough days to dedicate to that lake. if and when my scedual changes and i can fish a couple times a week i will definatly try the challange again but as i said at the begining best advice for perch on seneca drive north till you hit sodus

Very well said.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app