Cuomo signs law requiring boating safety courses

L&M

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/cuomo_signs_law_requiring_boating_safety_courses.html#incart_river_default

Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new legislation Friday that would require the operators of all powered boats to pass an eight-hour, safety course.

The law takes effect May 1 and comes in the aftermath of fatal boating accidents last year on Long Island and upstate.

It will be put into effect over a period of years. It will initially cover anyone 18 or younger, while older boaters would be exempt. First-time violators would face fines of $100 to $250.

Certificates can be obtained and the safety course completed with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historical Preservation, U.S. Power Squadrons, or the U.S. Coast Guard.

Previous state law only required operators of a personal watercraft to have a boating safety certificate, or be accompanied by someone older than 18 years who is the holder of a safety certificate.

"New York State has some of the best recreational and thriving commercial waterways in the country, and it is our responsibility to ensure they remain safe for all boat operators and passengers," Cuomo said in a statement.

"This legislation will make sure that those who operate any kind of boat have the necessary training and experience, and they are aware of the risks and proper protocol for handling their vessels," he said.

The new law covers all motorized ("mechanically powered) water vessels. There is no size limit of crafts specified. Technically, the operator of a canoe with an electric motor would be required to take a safety course.

New York is the 21st state to make boating safety training mandatory, according to a story in Newsday. Seven states, including Connecticut and New Jersey, have more stringent laws, the newspaper reported.

A big motivation for the law was a boating accident off the north shore of Long Island that attracted national attention nearly a year ago on the Fourth of July. A cabin cruiser capsized following a fireworks display on Oyster Bay. Three children drowned.

Last summer on Oneida Lake, a father and two sons died when the driver of the boat got distracted by fireworks and hit the concrete base of a channel marker. None of the boat's passengers were wearing life preservers.

The legislation, (A.3471-A / S.1639-A), was sponsored by two Democrats: state Sen. David Carlucci, from Rockland County, and Assemblywoman Sandy Galef, from Westchester.

Robert Brown, public affairs officer for Flotilla 21 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary in Syracuse, said the law is "long overdue.

"I've boated on major waters across New York State, both fresh and salt water. I've seen a broad gamut of boating skills, or lack of skills," Brown said. "In order to drive a sports car, which can go well over 100 mph, you have to take a course and be licensed. But if you have a boat 50 to 70 feet long that can go up to 70 mph, and you don't have to demonstrate any skill in operating it."

A course won't take the stupid out of people. How many people get dwis take the course then go back and get another one? (Wanna say it's like 75%)

How many young kids take drivers safety classes and smash their cars up?

It's all about experience and responsibility- nothing about a stupid course to teach you who gets the right of way.

>>Brown said. "In order to drive a sports car, which can go well over 100 mph, you have to take a course and be licensed. But if you have a boat 50 to 70 feet long that can go up to 70 mph, and you don't have to demonstrate any skill in operating it."<< Since when?

Make it for new boat owners, grandfather in the rest.

NY state-----license and regulate everything.

I took a couple of course's from the CG Aux a few years ago and as taught, I had the anchor ready to throw when I needed it in a hurry. I lost power in the Saco River and was heading for the rocks in a swift current, That anchor was ready and saved us from crashing into those rocks. I thought the course was great.

this new law is just to create revenue for the state a safety course will not make stupid people stop making mistakes you have  to sit through safety course for hunting and people still do stupid stuff like shoot each other  its bs as far as im concerned i do think they should make people who buy a new boat who have never owned one before take a course but for those of us who have been boating for over 30 yrs its stupid waste of time common sense is not so common anymore so i guess we have to suffer through a stupid 8 hour course for this now next they will make us take one so we can legally walk down a side walk

Well being from CT....the tax you to death state.... they saw this as another 50 bucks from everyone who owned a boat and 50 bucks from everyone who buys a boat in the future. Only thing is, CT thought of it 20 yrs ago. Hope they honor my CT certificate in NY !

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sign up to drop the state another fee. This WILL evolve into a license, and then a stiff renewal. And as people then **** about their bi-annual $80 additional state general fund money grab, remember, it was a great thing and had zero impact on boater safety most likely.

Land of the ____________ and home of the ___________

Not sure what the blanks are, but I'm sure Free and Brave are a joke these days.

The safety course will help with knowing the equipment needed to help save lives and how to store and use it on a boat. Maybe it Will teach some new and young boaters the rules of the waterways too.

But...in the two incidents cited above where two different boats on two different bodies of water had fatalities as a result of turning over or crashing into concrete structure, none of what I just said about the course will change the cause. That cause was distraction. No course will teach that to anyone without common sence enough to pay attention to course and surroundings. Same thing on the road, but maybe even worse in a boat with many different electronic devices to monitor, or not, in the case of auto pilot. Those two accidents still would have happened sorry to say.. course or no course of safety lessons.

Distracted driving on a boat is the same as in a car, train, plane, or what ever conveyance one chooses to travel faster with, than the human body was designed for.

Water adds an obvious different element to the dangers, and that needs to be taught more than anything for survival in any emergency.

In the end it will save some folks, but not all in the case of ignorance. It's on the road, and it will be in the water too.

cent frum my knotso smart fone...

I might be wrong, but the way I read it, it only applies to those under 18 years of age, is this right? I think it should be that if your operating on NY. waters and under 18 then you need to be certified no matter what state your from Just like a hunting if your from PA. you can't hunt in NY  with a PA license. I think eventually everyone will need to be certified and probably will need to be renewed every few years, to keep the revenue coming in. That's my take on it. Getting back to the age thing the younger generation definitely have less common sense then us older folks. I have twin daughters and I see it every day. Not only my kids but all the younger one need to be led around by the hand or there are lost, it's sad but that's the way it is. One other thing is that at the age of 12 we were driving farm tractors and trucks and cars at 14, all the roads were dirt and it was our duty to take the wagons to the barn and bring a empty back to the fields no one ever gave it a thought, it was expected of us young ones .

It's about time ! i have been advocating this policy for years . My son and I took the course years ago and gained a lot of valuable information . I agree that you can't fix stupid , but you can fix the uneducated . basic boat handling ,required safety equipment , basic navigation and learning what the navigation aids mean , and the rules of the road are all covered in the course . This course will be mandatory for any boater operating in NY waters  ( I hope ) .  I watch people on the water and at the launch ramp every year and cringe . Sometimes it's just funny , other times it's scary .

It's about time ! i have been advocating this policy for years . My son and I took the course years ago and gained a lot of valuable information . I agree that you can't fix stupid , but you can fix the uneducated . basic boat handling ,required safety equipment , basic navigation and learning what the navigation aids mean , and the rules of the road are all covered in the course . This course will be mandatory for any boater operating in NY waters  ( I hope ) .  I watch people on the water and at the launch ramp every year and cringe . Sometimes it's just funny , other times it's scary .

Including thousands of Captains and experienced boaters ? You have to be kidding !!! Treat everybody equally....Like a 14 year old kid or a few stupid people at the boat launch... that you already said you can't fix...That seems reasonable to you ? Have you lived in NYS.. The least free state in the United States your whole life?

Edited by esox

I would imagine the law would make provisions for charter captains as well as any who already took the course . And , yes I have lived in NY state my whole life . I have fished and hunted on Lake O since the early 70's . I used to hunt ducks in Oswego harbor in January from a 14 ' Mirrocraft when it was 10 below zero  (now there's stupidity ) . Just because you can go out and buy a boat ,doesn't make you qualified to operate it . The course will teach basic navigation skills as well as the rules of the road . If you don't care to take it ,you can always fish the salmon river  . LOL

I support it... after seeing too many accidents and deaths the past few years on the finger lakes. People have no idea who has the right of way, what the buoys mean or in fact what a dive flag is. I fully support it. Grandfather boat owners in who have owned one since X date and every new owner should provide a license upon registering.. I believe common sense still exists but it is definitely not tolerated. I have had my boaters license since age thirteen. I now have my USCG masters license and every bit of info I learn and take in...... never know when you're gonna need it most!

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did the old course when I was 14 or 15 and now I have about 30 days on the water before I can go for my captains license. While I understand why some think this is a good idea from my point of view having gone through the course its a waste of time. The regular state course teaches near nothing in my opinion. If they want to prevent accidents through regulations the best thing to do would be to make people have a log with a certain amount of hours on the water under power to be able to take a boat out on there own. There is nothing in a classroom that is going to beat experience on the water. -Paul

I agree it would be a good thing for the younger, inexperienced boaters. It may help some but unfortunately a few will never be helped. In pa you have to take a safety course as well which I have done. I did learn a few interesting things I didn't know prior. The way it is in pa is if you were born before january 1, 1982 you are exempt for taking it unless using pwc. My thoughts for the charter captains is no matter what age once the have obtained their captains license they should also be exepmt. It is a money making scheme I'm sure but it may or may not help prevent some accidents out on the water. I have seen alot of people out there, at the dock, or even trailering and thought what the hell are they thinking. Just my $.02

Sent from my DROIDX using Lake Ontario United mobile app