Cuomo signs law requiring boating safety courses

L&M

I would imagine the law would make provisions for charter captains as well as any who already took the course . And , yes I have lived in NY state my whole life . I have fished and hunted on Lake O since the early 70's . I used to hunt ducks in Oswego harbor in January from a 14 ' Mirrocraft when it was 10 below zero  (now there's stupidity ) . Just because you can go out and buy a boat ,doesn't make you qualified to operate it . The course will teach basic navigation skills as well as the rules of the road . If you don't care to take it ,you can always fish the salmon river  . LOL

It's the same course you take for operating a personal watercraft....and that law DOES NOT exempt Charter captains...

To the people for this "New" Law. You have lived your entire life relatively FREE and don't feel everyone else is capable of doing the same.....It's your Disdain for others that  will eventually put you in chains....It's clear you all don't understand that...

This law will have the same effect on the number of boating fatalities that the Life jacket law did..... and that's ZERO !!  Pat yourselves on the back if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside !!

Fyi... There were 75,000 lawn mower accidents last year....and 4,500 boating accidents nation wide.... :lol:

Disdain (N)

1. intense scorn: extreme contempt or disgust for something or somebody.

2.look down on somebody or something: to regard something or somebody as not worthy of respect.

Edited by esox

I think it is a joke, only another way for the state to make more money to piss it away on welfare or some bogus organization. I think they should require it as proof to buy a boat then we might have as many idiots on the water.  

Here is some food for thought.  They already accept proof of boaters safety course by taking these tests online through different organizations and let you print out your certificate.  How wrong is that?  They should actually water test some of these idiots just like driving a car.

Edited by Chas0218

I remember going through all these same comments and criticisms back In 1995 when CT instituted this same law. They grandfathered anyone who had a boat registered for the previous 10 yrs (which I missed by 1 yr) I just sucked it up , paid 75.00 for the course then 50.00 for the certificate. I found the course, which was 1 night a week for 8 weeks, helpful and informative, but didn't' appreciate the fact that all this was forced upon me by the state. Nowadays, boating mostly on lake Ontario, when I see people doing stupid stuff, I just shake my head, and am thankful for the knowledge !

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They should take the money that it costs to take the course and put it into a fund to support fish hatcheries / lake clean-up, but we all know that would never happen :(

They should also take the money from hunting and fishing licenses and put it into bettering opportunities in those activities. Instead I'm sure thid money will also just go to walking trails in NYC for those people that **** about hunting and fishing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The people of NYS really are dumb !! A sweep of the governors pen and every adult boat operator will be  treated like the 14 year old from the day before... and people stand up and applaud it !! Some of us wonder why this state is so screwed up...... You don't have to look very far.

Edited by esox

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The people of NYS really are dumb !! A sweep of the governors pen and every adult boat operator will be  treated like the 14 year old from the day before... and people stand up and applaud it !! Some of us wonder why this state is so screwed up...... You don have to look very far.

It is not all of us. People in NY City practically control the whole state because it is population center.

A stroke of his pen and he made all the law abiding gun owners who own a semi automatic handgun

a felon if they put more than 7 rounds in their 9-10 or 15 round mag. Talk about a Dumb Ass useless law?

That was supposed to protect our school children. If I could move out of the state, I would be flying like

a bat outta hell!

In all seriuosness , My intention was not to start a war . I belive that basic instruction on safe boat handling is long overdue .I know that some people will ignore the rules ,even if they take the course and know them . But there are way too many people om Lake O ,that have no clue and this is what i think the course will address . Save lives ? maybe , not so sure about that one ,other than teaching people what the bouy system means . Every year  , the news reports of guys going out in 19 ft. boats in 5-6 foot waves . The coast guard risks their lives to either save the lucky or recover the bodies of the not so lucky . Mandatory life jackets in the cold water months save lives period . All you have to do is stick your hand in that 40 degree water in April and just imagine your whole body in that . You have a very few precious moments to get out before you become paralyzed . If the gasp reflex hits you when your head goes under , the jacket WILL save your life . I satnd by my position that the course should be mandatory for all boaters in NY .

looks like a big waste of money. you cannot fix stupid people. so now just because the state takes some cash and makes you waste 8 hours or what ever they come up with, there will be no more accidents? the state is going under and anyway they can get more money from us, they will do

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:  This is about controlling every aspect of your life....to think it's anything other is foolish... It prays on the Disdain people have for others...

In all seriuosness , My intention was not to start a war . I belive that basic instruction on safe boat handling is long overdue .I know that some people will ignore the rules ,even if they take the course and know them . But there are way too many people om Lake O ,that have no clue and this is what i think the course will address . Save lives ? maybe , not so sure about that one ,other than teaching people what the bouy system means . Every year  , the news reports of guys going out in 19 ft. boats in 5-6 foot waves . The coast guard risks their lives to either save the lucky or recover the bodies of the not so lucky . Mandatory life jackets in the cold water months save lives period . All you have to do is stick your hand in that 40 degree water in April and just imagine your whole body in that . You have a very few precious moments to get out before you become paralyzed . If the gasp reflex hits you when your head goes under , the jacket WILL save your life . I satnd by my position that the course should be mandatory for all boaters in NY .

The Only thing I agree with you on is ... it should be mandatory for All boaters... No one should be grandfathered.... A person born in 1995 and a person born in 1945 should be treated equally...

They should take the money that it costs to take the course and put it into a fund to support fish hatcheries / lake clean-up, but we all know that would never happen :(

Love that idea but it won't happen.

Folks in May 2014 it is for those 18 and Under --- but will be phased in for ALL boaters over a few years. It does not say anything about grandfathering. No mention of the cost of the course.

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the boat safety legislation into law on Friday. It will be phased in over several years, applying initially to anyone 18 or younger and eventually to all boaters. First-time violators could get a fine of $100 to $250"

This is a terrible law, just another way "they" want to controller our lives and drain our pockets of our hard earned $$$. I wonder how much "law enforcement" will be out on the water harrassing for the certificate. Is there any exemption for Captains? I have already shown my competency to the Coast Gaurd, however I will not hold a New York State Boat Safety Certificate

8 hour course will not properly teach how to operate a boat and if anyone thinks this will work you are foolish.

Edited by off track

It's an 8 hour classroom. Anyone ever take a hunter safety course? Pretty much the same thing. They point out the really dumb things not to do....(DON'T SHOOT OTHER PEOPLE)...

and regardless of this, people will still do dumb things.

It's a bull crap move to generate revenue IMHO.

This is a terrible law, just another way "they" want to controller our lives and drain our pockets of our hard earned $$$. I wonder how much "law enforcement" will be out on the water harrassing for the certificate. Is there any exemption for Captains? I have already shown my competency to the Coast Gaurd, however I will not hold a New York State Boat Safety Certificate

8 hour course will not properly teach how to operate a boat and if anyone thinks this will work you are foolish.

I believe it's the same basic boat safety course given for personal water craft... Captains are not exempt from the personal water craft certificate.

The boaters safety course is 40 dollars a person

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You sure about it being $40

"After consultation with industry and boating safety groups, the bill was amended to give the state parks agency, which would enforce the law, the option of letting people take the course online. Courses range in price from free for online versions to about $150 for classroom courses"

Why would anyone pay $150 if you can take it online for Free. Bogus! Anyone think that a online course will fix stupidity?

Now I see the confusion about different opinions about the length of the course . There are different courses available . I took the  " boating skills and seamanship " course . It was at least 7 weeks long , maybe longer , I took it over 10 years ago . It was very comprehensive and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their skills and enjoy the sport all the more . I agree , that a 1 hour or even an 8 hour course will do little to improve anyones skills and knowledge . Check out the CG website and see the courses available .http://cgaux.org/boatinged/