Cuomo signs law requiring boating safety courses

L&M

I truly believe that sailboat's should be included. It seem's like they aim right for me everytime  I'm out there. Don't know if they just can't see around those thing's or they just don't pay attention but when I can actually hit the guy with a rock if I had one, that is way too close.

I truly believe that sailboat's should be included. It seem's like they aim right for me everytime  I'm out there. Don't know if they just can't see around those thing's or they just don't pay attention but when I can actually hit the guy with a rock if I had one, that is way too close.

Who says they are exempt? As they are also motorized vessels when the sails aren't up

I believe it's the same basic boat safety course given for personal water craft... Captains are not exempt from the personal water craft certificate.

You are correct.  The last time I asked the Coast Guard about it they said "Technically they are not exempt".  But I would be willing to bet that if they pulled over a person with a Captain's license it wouldn't have been to check if they were certified.

I believe it's the same basic boat safety course given for personal water craft... Captains are not exempt from the personal water craft certificate.

PWC Operation - Education is Mandatory for All PWC Operators:

•All personal watercraft operators must take an 8-hour classroom based boating safety course and successfully complete the proctored exam before they can operate a PWC on any waters of New York.

•Programs offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and the U.S. Power Squadrons are acceptable.

•Young boater safety certificates previously issued by New York State satisfy the educational requirements.

•All PWC operators must be a minimum of 14 years old - no one under the age of 14 may operate a PWC.

•No one under the age of 16 may rent a personal watercraft. Those under 18 years of age wishing to rent a personal watercraft must possess a boating safety education certificate.

so if a Captain or anyone had a course thru them they would be exempt !!!!

Has anyone read the law?  People under 18 have to take the boating course.  Then there is the strange provision that when someone now purchases a boat they have 90 days to take the course if they have not already.  My favorite part of the law is that if you rent a boat you do not need to take the course.

Stick it to everyone who wants to buy a boat, but if you rent you do not need it.  

Haha ya I didn't really understand what everyone was getting so mad about. As it states we are all grandfathered in and it is only for 18 and under, and purchasing a boat.

I highly doubt a marina is going to care whether or not they have the certificate they will sell the boat to them anyway.  Not like they are going to be held responsible if the guy goes out and kills someone or wrecks it in the first 20 minutes of owning it.

Edited by Chas0218

Yeah folks let's keep things in perspective.....King Andrew needs the money and the lunatics are running the asylum while the baboons run the zoo...welcome to N.Y.S.

In all seriuosness , My intention was not to start a war . I belive that basic instruction on safe boat handling is long overdue .I know that some people will ignore the rules ,even if they take the course and know them . But there are way too many people om Lake O ,that have no clue and this is what i think the course will address . Save lives ? maybe , not so sure about that one ,other than teaching people what the bouy system means . Every year , the news reports of guys going out in 19 ft. boats in 5-6 foot waves . The coast guard risks their lives to either save the lucky or recover the bodies of the not so lucky . Mandatory life jackets in the cold water months save lives period . All you have to do is stick your hand in that 40 degree water in April and just imagine your whole body in that . You have a very few precious moments to get out before you become paralyzed . If the gasp reflex hits you when your head goes under , the jacket WILL save your life . I satnd by my position that the course should be mandatory for all boaters in NY .

Alright- how many of us have NOT taken this class and are successful/courteous/etc at operating a boat? It's ignorant that making people take a class will make them more safe.

Why are you better or more qualified when you were younger than a kid now? Why do so many people all of a sudden " not have a clue" lol I see more older guys that have their heads up their asses than younger kids.

Idk about you but I've been operating boats for over 15 years- learned with my father by my side. You respect the water, your machine, and your "brothers" out on the water you'll be just fine. If you can't learn that you'll be in trouble no matter what- and you can't teach that in a class.

Hank - Thank you for bringing this too mine and our members attention. It does always seens we find out about these bills after signed to law. As it appeares to me, we can relax for now. Most of us using this site are over the age 18 years and are probably not affected. I do suggest that you internet search signed Bill # S1639 and read it as a boat operator.(There is more to it than discussed here) For those of us with an MML, I read part of the article to find us exempt as well.

THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL NOT APPLY TO PERSONS WHO ARE:
CERTIFIED BY THE COMMISSIONER AS BOATING SAFETY INSTRUCTORS; MEMBERS  OF
THE  UNITED  STATES  POWER SQUADRONS; MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES COAST
GUARD AUXILIARY; HOLDERS OF PUBLIC VESSEL LICENSES PURSUANT  TO  SECTION
SIXTY-FOUR  OF  THIS  ARTICLE;  POLICE  OFFICERS,  PEACE  OFFICERS, FIRE
PERSONNEL, RESCUE PERSONNEL OR  LIFEGUARDS,  WHEN  ANY  SUCH  PERSON  IS
ACTING  PURSUANT  TO  ASSIGNED DUTIES; OR LICENSED TO OPERATE VESSELS BY
THE UNITED STATES COAST GUARD OR THE CANADIAN COAST GUARD.  THE  COMMIS-
SIONER,  BY  RULE  OR REGULATION, MAY PROVIDE FOR THE EXEMPTION OF ADDI-
TIONAL PERSONS NOT LISTED IN THIS PARAGRAPH  FROM  THE  REQUIREMENTS  OF
THIS SECTION

Enjoy the rest of the boating season.

• 2 weeks later...

Leftest liberal bs. People die courses and so called "educating" will not build the common sense required to make smart choices. Fact the state will open a new cancerous branch that will be over the top important and will suck the financial life from the hobby called boating strengthining its contribution to the gov and importance over decades. Oh and there will still be accidents which will be an overlooked once important fact down the road when back are patted.

There is a lot of people and a bunch are stupid unfortunate fact the gov is not mommy liberal pansies.

Good luck trolling

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Any law that limits the liberty of people is a good law.

I can't wait for the law that requires a safety course for shopping, hiking, bike riding, snowshoeing, jogging, smoking, skiing, barbecuing, fun loving, texting, phoning, bird and TV watching.

From great minds, come great laws to keep us all safe!!

It is a good idea in my opinion. I have seen too many easily avoidable accidents by watercraft operators it is scary. I hope the course also includes proper trailering and launching!

Good Idea.  Needs to be all about safety out on the water.  Too many people take safety for granted.  Also, there should be a "stupid tax" out on the water.  The dumber you are, the more you pay.  Happy Bears!!!!

So I just finished the BoatUS on-line course.  (passed...yay!)  Even learned a couple things that I had never thought about. 

For example:  if you smell or have smoke coming out of your doghouse and open the lid real quick - you could trigger a massive flame/flareup as the lid could suck air into it real quick.  Now that I think about it...duh...that makes perfect sense.  The course got me thinking about it  so I'd say that yes, it's worth the time to take one of the courses.

What the heck, beats shoveling the driveway.

Tom B.

(LongLine)  

Seems like alot of upset fisherman over basically a pretty good idea...18 and under will be required to take the course..Plenty of places will not charge a fee, but 10.00 will be required to be pd for the safety boating Certificate...Now there will be private instructors giving the course   and they will charge a fee..Plus 10.00 to the state for the certificate...Seems to me a limited amount of education b4 going the water would be a good idea..Granted people will still make mistakes and accidents occur...Bet most of the members here goofed up sometime in their  travels on the open water..But they learned from their mistakes..These youngsters are going to have to do the same thing..Question I have  is will they force it on other ages groups if accidents continue to occur and there are more fatalities..   Lets face it experience is the best teacher..But with so many recreational boaters out there today time how they going to get years of experience..Also it doesn't seem to be a real money maker for the state..And it mite just save a life or 2, maybe even yours or mine..