Adding Color to Sutton Spoons

I Always go back to the original silver & brass. The color tape & nail polish just reduce the flash and contrast. At depth what else

can be seen as the light filters down? The movement and action caused by the flexablilty and liteness of the lure makes the differance. This is my experance on the fingerlakes. lake O fish wad them up, and spit them out.

I lost 6 suttons today and need to find some more! any one who wants to sell some PM me and let me Know

Thanks. Dick

I've recently been accused of having "girly" spoons :lol:  but I've been using the nail polish on them for more than 30 years and it doesn't interfere with the action or impede them in any way. It is temporary though which is both "good" and "bad" (depending on whether you like to monkey). The nail polish (even with an acrylic hardener coating over  it does come off after awhile but this is OK with me because if the color doesn't work real well I can easily change it (as long as I feel the action of it works OK). I had a bunch of older spoons that the finish was worn on (including Suttons) sitting in the basement a while back and decided to rejuvenate them and I've been hammering fish with them since (as well as saving money on new spoons) and I 'm not as concerned about losing them either :)  It is noted though that colors in their element (outdoors in sunlight for example) do not appear the same at depth in water and in fact reportedly either  "washout" or darken to black down deep (e.g 70 or 80 ft on down) although this may be slightly different depth wise with extremely clear water. Reportedly red shows up as "whitish" at about 40-50 ft in normal water conditions or so for example. Glow finishes themselves (depending on specifically what they are composed of) supposedly show up better at depth. Obviously I didn't do the studies but that's what the "color scientists" have published anyway. I should also mention another downside to the nail polish....daughters....they like to steal your stuff....and its usually the good "glitter" :lol: Oh and before anyone "nails me" about the nail polish smell I let it dry for a few days and then whenI put them in withmy other spoons Ispray the inside of the lid with shad scent spray :) I guess that's most of my "girly" secrets....

Edited by Sk8man

If the finish is good on them leave them "as is" would be my advice.It is a great combination and over the years I've caught more fish on the combo spoons especially the hammered finish (and I've had and used hundreds of Suttons). Les

Edited by Sk8man

:lol::) :smile:  Geez and I thought Ed busted me pretty good....good one! I'm training the dog to breath real hard on them for the next batch :) Les

Edited by Sk8man