Replacing wing nuts with Nuts & Washers for battery termianls

waterlogged

Recently read a post about replacing wing nuts with lock, & flat washers and a nut on the battery terminals.  Gonna do this as a loose connection just cost me $400 to replace the regulator on my 90 h.p. Johnson outboard.

My question is..... do you need stainless or is regular hardware ok.  Worrying about battery terminal material reacting with nuts & washers - opposite amterial cousing corrosion????

Burned up two rectifiers on my merc 150 this year because of a loose battery connection. The marina I deal with recommended I use stainless nylon lock nuts to prevent then loosening up under vibration. Also to coat everything with die electric grease to help prevent any arcing or corrosion issues. Couple bucks for lock nuts is definitely cheaper than replacing a rectifier or worse. I highly recommend doing this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The way I attach my wire ends is a flat stainless steel washer first (clean terminals first with wire brush till they shine then smear up with dielectric grease) put all the + or - terminals on than a flat stainless steel washer and a self locking nut preferably the nylon type as this type wont rip the threads off the post when you go to remove the nut to add or replace wires. Then apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the whole cluster repeat for other side and put lid on battery box. done deal. I also use the same terminal ends on all the wires except the + and - wire as they are much heaver that way if needed I might have to rind a flat side on washer so it smashes all the terminal wire loops and not the plastic insulation whether it be yellow, red, blue I use all yellow and solder the terminals even if the squeeze tight, that way I usually don't have to grind a flat side on washer so it bypasses the insulation on term. ends. END of problem, never was a fan of the wing nut idea. ALSO put main battery wire on first!! then the rest of the wires.  

A top safety violation is a failure to have your battery covered to prevent accidently arcing open terminals. Have your battery in a plastic case.

This is correct. The battery trays work but I personally prefer the enclosed boxes. Also don't forget part of the safety aspect is the battery boxes must be attached. Which I've seen plenty of people over look.

Arcing can also occur on a loose connection as well. This should never be overlooked and the connections should be checked and cleaned routinely. I check over mine at least once a month. Nothing is worse than getting to the dock and having a dead battery or bad connection that the engine wont start. When a little preventive maintaince could prevent it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Lake Ontario United mobile app