9-29 Otisco walleye blitz!

justtracytrolling

Got a hot tip from rnsurfnturf, thanks tim, and Tracy, Cody, and I headed up to the lake. To say we hit it perfect would be an understatement. We casted large sticks, and the f18s and a Diawa sp minnow did the work. Ended up just over 50 lbs in 9 fish, including a 9+ and 3 7's. Biggest was almost 28 with a 15 inch girth. Caught a bonus 22" largemouth and culled one eye.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-1380551016997_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13805510360825_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13805510558168_thumb.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about, way to go Justin congrats to you and the family, If I wouldn't know better I would of assumed you snuck out to Erie HAA-HAA, now the work begins and with those monsters you'll have nice scallops to eat along with some mammoth sized fillets. Way to go, By the way your killing me here all  I can do is wish I could jump off the couch and hook 1 WORM up and head to Ostico. They will be there in the spring, then I will come visit you on Osico and make a week of it. Leave some for me LOL Excellent Job JT. I'm so happy for you just seeing those fish, can't imagine actually being there cranking those whales in!!! keep us posted!!

Nice of some walleye. My concern is that there will be 1 million less eggs next spring amongst those fish on your table.

Evidently you do not practice conservation. Even in Lake Erie, I will not keep fish over 21 inches for that reason. Second those big fish do not taste as good as the small ones do.

I knew that was coming....I dont catch em under 21 and the limit is only 3...I fish very hard and they were half males...they stock the lake yearly...this subject is a personal choice...and there is nothing wrong with the taste of big walleyes...if I didnt like the taste id put them back...there is no shortage of walleyes in otisco.

I do practice conservation, and harvest only my legal limit of mature walleyes and whitetails, and eat anything I keep.

Justin

What is it with some people who have a problem with others who happen to be successful after putting in their time and paying their dues? Conservation is one thing but "anal retentiveness" is another....you need to "lighten up" rw6788 and enjoy life. Great job Justin....doesn't get any better than that!

Justin,

I've also been accused of taking to many fish even though I release a bunch of big fish and fish many different bodies of water. As long as someone is staying within the legal limit it is their choice to keep what they please ( I'm sure they are well utilized). Hopefully the DEC would adjust limits if there was any concern with overharvesting. I'm not ashamed that I keep a lot of fish and we eat many meals of fish and game. It's the epitome of free range and wild food.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Thanks guys. My family eats fish and game for most of our diet and we prefer it that way. The 20 lbs of fillets will not be the last we keep this year either! We are all sportsman for our own reasons, so lets promote fishing not argue.

Justin

Nice of some walleye. My concern is that there will be 1 million less eggs next spring amongst those fish on your table.

Evidently you do not practice conservation. Even in Lake Erie, I will not keep fish over 21 inches for that reason. Second those big fish do not taste as good as the small ones do.

Everyone who cant catch them and they are probably the majority are practicing conservation.

It is not like you have hundreds of fisherman keeping three large fish apiece. I am sure there

are lots of fisherman who don't catch any walleyes. Justin is just taking a small portion of the

share that they don't/cant catch. I am sure the fish he kept wont affect the fishery one teentsy iota.

Good catch Justin.  I would keep them too.  I prefer 20-25 inchers. I would probably let the bass go.  Too cheap to get it mounted and kinda big for eating.  I don't know Tim.  Keep posting fish trips. :yes:

Put and take fish have to be put and they have to be taken or why bother?  One of the reasons they stopped stocking hybrid stripers in NY is because the catch rate was too low.  The biggest reason they don't is the cost to do so was too much.

Joe

The NYS DEC fishing regulations guide allows 3 walleye per person, per day, 18" minimum on the Finger Lakes except Honeoye (min. 15"). Beyond that....you know what they say about opinions. No explanations, justifications, or replies are owed to anybody.

Joe,

I couldnt agree more. Anyplace that is stocked needs a harvest. Tim and I participate in the angler diaries so the dec is aware of exactly how many we catch. The dec needs to know how good it is and that we utilize the fishery or they will cease to stock. Otisco should be a model of success, as it truly is a spectacular fishery. There is no shortage of huge fish. The lake gets a bad rap because the fish are hard to catch as bait is insanely abundant. With hard work and attention to detail the walleyes CAN be caught in numbers.

Justin

First great job on the eyes. Like others have said there are regs and they are in place for a reason. It is up to the person to catch and eat or catch and release. I here the same all the time on the big O. Again great catch of eyes.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Perhaps rw6788 remembers those not too distant days when pics of mega harvests of fish and game were the rule and norm for everyone...... And the results, as just one of the many thousands of cuts to our environment (that is not a bad word). We have learned a lot since then and there is always the fact that man does often have a heavy and selfish hand in this world which we are just one part of. That being said, I also like to harvest my take as well as processing, eating and sharing it. I do not always harvest what I get. But I do love cooking and eating the great things mother nature has to share with us. Also, the great fun it is to indulge in the art and science of going after fish and game. Tracy is having a ball doing what he is doing, and  following the rules and the limits are a required part of sharing the bounty without depleting it, as I'm sure he does. It is a  a stretch to assume that Tracy evidently does not practice conservation because of proudly showing off the results of a good day on the water. But I do understand where that sentiment may come from. Just let's not get into jumping to conclusions about one an others doings from some photos and comments. Have a good time, or try to, and if you actually do see folks illegally and unscrupulously harvesting, let them know about it right there or at least report it to appropriate authorities. Fish on! 

Well said Panfisher.....just one clarification is in order though ....Tracy is Justin's lady (who does fish with him sometimes) :) 

This is the last time im saying this....IM KEEPING MY WALLEYES TO EAT....PERIOD! I shouldnt have to justify why. I live over an hour away and I bring home as close to a legal limit every chance I get. What I do with the fish I catch is only MY choice.

Justin