torpedo downrigger probe cable?

hawkeye625

Anybody have any luck with the torpedo probe cable?  I bought some last summer and tried it with little luck, soldered it like directions say but still loose signal frequently.  I actually put my coated cable back on for most of this year until it got cut off and had to try the torpedo cable again in a pinch. 

Still having the same problem of loosing signal, but I do like the cable not having coating on the outside (my crew is hell on coated cable).  Is there a secret method to termination I'm missing? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I had coated cable that was on its third season when we got wrapped by a big king and about two feet of coating got badly nicked.  I couldn't find a replacement coated cable so I went to the Torpedo cable.  I could not get it to work right so I sent my wife to Buffalo to get a spool of coated cable and changed it back.  I guess I really don't know what I am doing with the torpedo cable, but I didn't like it.

Edited by G-Daddy

I have had good luck with torpedo cable wire. 

I am running it on an older Cannon Mag10.  Did you peel the plastic of the inner copper wire before soldering? 

I haven't lost signal and can reach down to 140 feet...haven't been any deeper than that.

Ray,

Yes I peeled the coating off and soldered to a ring connector.  I have the boat home now so I might try and mess with it some more, but will more than likely go with another coated cable. 

My opinion so far is the same as bigblues and G-Daddy.  I might try and get in touch with torpedo to see what they have to say.

The Moor cable is not pricey and if treated properly it holds up well . Got 4 seasons on my first one and don't forget you can reverse it on the rigger spool for more life. It would be nice if the pro staff did not respond to these post.

Edited by bigblue

Not sure what kind of unit you have, but there is a new part on the market that replaces the spring that pics up the signal from the cable ( moors and depth raider units) . My dockmate installed one on his cable and now it works at much greater depth.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app