Fish Hawk X4, X4D questions...

Jammer

I have used my Moor Sub Troll reasonably successfully for many years now, but am getting tired of the constant issues, need for the wet paper towel on the antenna, regular replacing of the coated cable and even still, generally mediocre performance...

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to put an X4 or X4D on the Christmas list.

For those of you that have purchased one, how do you like the X4/X4D?  Pros and cons?  Worth the money?

I have twin inboards, so wonder about ideal placement of the transom mounted transducer given the props are ahead of the transom.  Any issues with this?

(I know there is some element of "religion" regarding down speed and temp probe brand preference, but hope to get some useful feedback...)

Thanks all for your help in advance!

JAM

I have an x-4 and like it .  The large display is easy to see from the back of the boat and with these old eyes.  The batt live is super , some captians  use the lithium ones because they last even longer with the cold water.  :yes:  :yes:

i have used the x-4 for 2 years now and no problems at all.put new batteries in the beginning of the season and i use it almost every weekend.as far as inboards,i would either talk to someone at fish hawk about it or hopefully someone on here can give you some advise.thinking about going to the x-4d next year.

If you have a fishfinder that has different frequency settings, I would get the x4. I am able to see my rigger weight down to as deep as i have ever fished it with my new hds7 on 83hrz. No need for a probe to tell you the depth if you can see it on your screen. I fished many weekends on lake ontario with the probe down 140-160ft to find temps, well being able to see it on my fishfinder and get readings from the probe.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I went with the X4.  Like Sammyslayer, I can see the weights and my cheaters on my fish finders so I'm not really worried about the depth.  The speed and temp readings are rock solid and the probe will work on ANY rigger in the boat without changing out rigger cable.  Fish Hawk has really fixed the old issues of the 840.  The battery life is awesome.  I used one set of batteries in 26 trips on Lake O this summer. 

You should go with the X4D-then ya know how far down the water temperature you're looking for really is at the speed your running.

Very helpfull. I have the X4 now and I'm am going to upgrade.

I agree. I have a top of the line FF and I don't always pick up my rigger balls especially when I'm over 90 feet down which was plenty of times this year. The X4D has helped me pinpoint my correct depth. You would be surprised how much blow back you're getting depending on your speed and the current below.  As far as the X4D not having surface speed, I couldn't care less about that since it's not as accurate as my GPS SOG anyway. The extra bucks for the X4D was worth it to me.

IMO spending all that extra money for an X4D over the X4 is unnecessary. Do you regularly fish so deep that blowback is that serious a concern? I could understand if you regularly fished with 120+ feet of rigger cable out, but the small amount of blowback you have at shallower depths doesn't seem to justify the additional cost or provide any usable info that your downrigger cable counter or sounder unit already tells you..

On the other hand, knowing how deep your diver or copper lines are would be more useful information.

I'd consider either having your Moor factory serviced to eliminate the problems you described or replace it with an X4, and add a Smart Troll. But the X4D just doesn't seem to make much sense to me over an X4.

Edited by John E Powell

What John said X2. I run 2 Moors on both boats the most important thing is fresh high quality batteries . I have had fish hawks good units but not totally free of issues use them long and hard and things show up .

I have used Fish Hawk units exclusively for many years. Todays units are incredible, and the customer service is second to none.

On two different twin screw vessels I mounted the transducer dead center at the bottom of the "V". You can then run the probe on any rigger you wish. I have never had it interfere with any fishfinder frequency.

IMO spending all that extra money for an X4D over the X4 is unnecessary. Do you regularly fish so deep that blowback is that serious a concern? I could understand if you regularly fished with 120+ feet of rigger cable out, but the small amount of blowback you have at shallower depths doesn't seem to justify the additional cost or provide any usable info that your downrigger cable counter or sounder unit already tells you..

On the other hand, knowing how deep your diver or copper lines are would be more useful information.

I'd consider either having your Moor factory serviced to eliminate the problems you described or replace it with an X4, and add a Smart Troll. But the X4D just doesn't seem to make much sense to me over an X4.

Well I was fishing to around 110' ft this year and I won't use weights heavier than 12 lbs so the blow back I was getting was as much as 11 feet at that depth on most occasions. i only ended up spending about 50 dollars more for my unit vs the X4. You just have to search around for better prices. I asked myself this before I decided...What would be more useful...The true depth at the rigger or the useless surface temp that is actually more accurate with my GPS? So the choice for me was the X4D.