Cannon Digi Troll 5 Downrigger

ERABBIT

• 4 weeks later...

ERABBIT - I know you can use anything from a 800-1100 series, but I think a 700 series 'bird will do. The CannonLink will also need to be purchased. It's a simple system to put together. If you went to the DT10s then all you would need is their $95 Transducer for the bottom lock feature.

Any other questions guys let me know! I am more familiar with the DT10s and Magnum 10STX, but I will do my best to help you with the DT5s.

I am looking into the dt 10 units myself, but havent been able to get any info from anyone that uses them. For my application i am most interested in the cycling/jigging function. Does anyone use this function? I run diving sticks off my cannons and it seems the jigging of the ball will accelerate the bait on the up stroke and pause the bait on the down stroke. This type of action is what im looking for to trigger tiger muskies and walleye. I do this with boat speed now, but its only possible when im not busy running lines etc. Ive had great success with this using my terrova but seems like jigging would be easier. I also wondered what you guys like the most about the digi-trolls? How easy are they to run off my humminbird? Ive researched the features, but cant find anyone talking about them which makes me wonder if they are worth it. Id like to go from 2 riggers to 3-4 dt10s, and have 8.5 foot beam on my pontoon can I fish 4 or is 3 the number? Does anyone use the cannon probe with their humminbird?

justin

It's very easy to run your riggers off the Humminbird. If you want to cycle them then having the bird is key, and it's easy to set-up. That's about the only time we use the Humminbird to control our riggers. Otherwise it's easier to just walk back and move them manually.

Best feature=will lower to preset depth just by pressing a button on the keypad. Great for fishing solo or with rookies.

Worst feature=they are crazy expensive

Annoying feature=when following bottom in bottom tracking mode they will raise up (sometimes 30+feet or more) when they see a thick bait pod. They think its bottom. This can be stopped by hitting the up or down button on the keypad as it occurs.

They are great riggers.

Cannonlink is only a convenience that will eliminate the need to run a second transducer.You can do everything with the bottom tracking transducer and the multiple riggers without a cannonlink going to your humminbird.

Edited by 58Johnson

Justin,

in response to your jigging question. Boat speed will make the lure rise faster/ fall slowly. The jigging function really just pulls the lure higher and lower. This appears like the lure is darting in different directions. Its not the same as throwing the boat in neutral for a second to make a lure fall seductively.

It's very easy to run your riggers off the Humminbird. If you want to cycle them then having the bird is key, and it's easy to set-up. That's about the only time we use the Humminbird to control our riggers. Otherwise it's easier to just walk back and move them manually.

Will I beable to do this off a 798si di

Justin , I'll be selling one boat and buying a new one so I can upgrade ONLY if I have to...... got all the right setting now on the 798 and can get it back if I mess it up playing around............... you use the SI when you troll for the eye's ???? Think I'll be giving it a better shot in the skinny water in the spring................ fishing 25' to 40' one day doing good on the browns in a large bait pod area........... then two more passes and nothing..... moved out ..... nothing moved into 17' to 20' and game on again....... with the SI I may have picked that up on the first pass...........if I knew enough how to read it....... :P

Ed i rely on the si alot for walleye...i have my transducer mounted on the trolling motor and i can accurately follow where the flat lake floor meets the slope easily and if i turn the trolling motor to the inside a bit i can see any points that stick out before i get there. It keeps me from dragging outside lines. I gotta get better at reading fish under the boards...i can see the big tigers with it easily, but walleyes dont make much shadow. I love my humminbird but takes a lot of time staring at it to know what you are seeing, and im no expert. I think getting together with other guys really helps the learning curve, and this site also of course.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am looking into the dt 10 units myself, but havent been able to get any info from anyone that uses them. For my application i am most interested in the cycling/jigging function. Does anyone use this function? I run diving sticks off my cannons and it seems the jigging of the ball will accelerate the bait on the up stroke and pause the bait on the down stroke. This type of action is what im looking for to trigger tiger muskies and walleye. I do this with boat speed now, but its only possible when im not busy running lines etc. Ive had great success with this using my terrova but seems like jigging would be easier. I also wondered what you guys like the most about the digi-trolls? How easy are they to run off my humminbird? Ive researched the features, but cant find anyone talking about them which makes me wonder if they are worth it. Id like to go from 2 riggers to 3-4 dt10s, and have 8.5 foot beam on my pontoon can I fish 4 or is 3 the number? Does anyone use the cannon probe with their humminbird?

justin

If this is just your main reason for putting out over a$1,000 for a digi troll 10 , one big draw back for me when I had a working digi troll. Long lines , eyeball on rod tip , see rod tip come up , jump on rod because it a first sign of a fish on , and see the digi troll coming up on the up cycle................ do you have a small kicker motor ??? I have a 15hp Merc hooked up to a TrollMaster that I can increase , decrease , hit a burst of WOT , drop to idle............... Kinger runs it for me you can see it on the side of the CC..............

001_zpsfb1d5804.jpg

Ed,

I use my 25 hp basically at an idle, and fine tune speed with my trolling motor. I can do bursts annd pauses with a remote around my neck. It works well...very well! There are lots of extras on the dt10's, but the cycle feature seems like a difference maker with what i do...if there was a way to test drive em that would be best. In the past ive bought products and outgrew them and bought the top of the line later...id rather buy the best first and know that i have the equipment that'll give me the option to do whatever ideas i get. Its only money...lol! Id just like to know others have tried the product and like it.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ed - A question: Are those yellow foam things the ones that Kinger had installed to keep you from hogging all the rods? :lol:

Nope ..... :P ....

It's swim-noodle cut to fit..... I hang my spoon on them to dry and know what I already put down to try......

Kinger growls when it's his turn on the rod..... :lol: