A summer's worth of pics paid off!

Well...my son Shea and I have been watching the "Split brow tine buck" all summer long and I've had pictures of him near all of my stands on this property.  When I finally got a chance to go out and sit...it was a tough call on which stand to go to...but I had to go back to my familiar surroundings in a stand that I've spent the majority of my time in and I've shot some nice bucks over the last few years.  After getting into the stand around 4:00...I sat patiently for a couple hours just waiting to see some activity to get the season underway.  Typically during bow season, there's plenty of activity in this stand...but with the warm temperatures, there was little to no movement.  Finally...just before 6:00...I heard something in the field in front of me but couldn't see through the trees.  I was relatively convinced that it was just another squirrel playing with my mind...but decided to stand up and grab my bow...just in case.  A few moments later...I was greeted by the very buck that we had been looking at all summer.  From the moment the tips of his antlers appeared, I knew it was him.  Now it was down to making the shot.  As I drew back...the excitement of my son's reaction rang through my head as I tried to remind myself of all of the keys to a successful shot.  I let the arrow fly, and immediately saw the blood start flowing.  The buck ran less than fifty yards and crashed in a hedgerow.  The excitement began to flow...and I had to call Dad to let him know that the Split Brow had fallen!  Couldn't wait to get through the work of gutting and getting him home to show Shea and remind him that hard work and scouting pay big dividends in the end!  Couldn't be happier with the start to the season!

post-139700-0-96377900-1380861974_thumb.jpg

post-139700-0-51430800-1380862005_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Good story and GREAT SHOT. I know you put alot of camera work time in also. I am trying to get a split brow tyne also this year.

P.S. Maybee I should start giving YOU Quarters at the river next fall.......

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! And agreed...love getting them early in the season. Beyond the obvious load it takes off your shoulders (gotta love that part!) they also look a lot better...and taste a WHOLE lot better! It's always nice to get that big rutting buck with the swollen neck...but I'll take the neat and clean one any day! With that said...we're less than two weeks from shotgun...so I'll be looking for the rutting one now!!