17.5lb laker on canandaigua 10/5/13

CVO

I dont post much on here because lately on canandaigua our luck hasnt been the greatest, just a couple 2-3 pounders every once in a while. Dad and I fished quite a bit on Lake O when the weather permitted and we did quite well. Friday night we were talking and couldnt decide what the plan for this morning would be...go to the Genesee and troll for the half dead boots or try and hook up with a few fish for the grill on canandaigua. Well thankfully we chose the later. 2 downriggers with assorted spoons throughout the morning which combined only produced 2 releases. All our fish came off the 2 wire divers. One was set at 230' on a 3 setting with a wonderbread spin dr and a white A-Tom-Ik fly. The second diver was set at 185' on a 3 setting as well with a mtn dew crush spin dr with a green glow A-tom-ik fly following. After a few of the usual 2-3lb lakers coming off the 230' diver, the 185 takes a shot and ended up being a 5.5lb bow hooked deep so in the box it went. After a good 45 minute lull, the 185' diver takes another shot with 2 short rips of drag. With the light rain all morning my father wanted nothing to do with bringing a fish in, he was more comfortable steering the boat while wearing his rain jacket underneath the soft top. As soon as this fish hit he jumped and said "I got this one." I handed him the rod and I could tell it was a solid fish. The first few minutes of the fight was just one violent headshake after another. After 15 minutes I dipped the net under the biggest laker we have ever caught on canandaigua lake,and probably ever will. We were shocked at first and then the high 5's and smiles came out. We weighed the fish and the scale read 17.5lbs! We both quickly decided after a couple pictures that this fish deserved to be released. I held the boat along the side of the boat for a good 5 minutes before I felt like the fish had a chance. With one slow slap of the tail dad's laker gracefully swam away.

....I couldnt help it, I wanted a quick picture with the old fish before reviving it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-146339-13810320005546_thumb.jpg

post-146339-13810320168197_thumb.jpg

post-146339-13810320529445_thumb.jpg

post-146339-13810320690607_thumb.jpg

Edited by basspro

WTG.... one hell of a laker to come from the Finger Lakes let alone Canandaigua....nice to see there are still some wary old dudes out there  :) 

Thanks guys, it definitely made our season unforgettable. I'm just glad I was able to revive the old brute

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great fish and Picture!  That's a Beauty. I'm not sure if Id ever mount a laker but a 17lber out of Canandaigua is awsome!  As I was reading your post I thought for sure you were going say the Bow hit the white fly but nope... I've never caught a rainbow on a Flasher/Fly setup here on Cayuga.  You guys must have a good population.  :)

Great fish! As a kid I grew up fishing Lakers with the family on Seneca and Canandaigua and a 10 was a giant then! Nice to know there are fish out there like that. That's like catching a 35lb + king on the big O. Don't be hating on them Lakers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great report and a great catch for Canandaigua.  Kudos for releasing that beast, prime brood stock for sure.  They say the lake trout don't naturally reproduce in Canandaigua but I don't believe the DEC.  This is the the first year I have caught any clipped fish in 10 years of fishing on Canandaigua.  And I did not get out that many times this year.

Great job, it's a heck of a fish for Canandaigua.

As a kid I grew up fishing Lakers with the family on Seneca and Canandaigua and a 10 was a giant then! Nice to know there are fish out there like that.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also spend lots of time fishing Canandaigua as a kid also, wonder if it's one of the dinks we threw back all those years ago ... :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...