Week on the St. Lawrence

post-153136-0-84729200-1381063987_thumb.jpgJust got home from a week of hard musky hunting on the St. Lawrence. I fished for muskies all week both casting and trolling. More Casting than trolling. I hit the humps on the 40 acre shoal and Ant Island every day along with others. NO muskies, but lots of Pike.  I couldn't believe I didn't contact one Muskie. 

I threw Double 10's, Phantoms, Bulldawgs, and Shallow Raiders. The Perch colored shallow raider 10" worked the best using a Twitch and Rip action. 

I attached a photo of a nice Pike I caught near Carlton Island. 

Also where are the smallmouth this time of year. My boat partner fished for smallies all week he caught a few , but not the numbers we expected. The quality was there but not the numbers. We had a tough time catching enough for a meal.. 

I will admit I was defeated by the Elusive Musky.....Maybe next year.

Beautiful Northern.  Don't be disccouraged....It has been a tough muskie fishing economy on the river the last few years. To Old Man's point, 40 hours per fish right now is not at all uncommon.  Sometimes more.  It keeps you coming back though......Nothing like the sound of the clacker shredding line.  Good luck!