Grouse?

Anyone seeing??  What cover are they in???  Went out sat. and got a fat zero on flushes despite 3 hunters and 2 dogs. Tons of berries and apples present.  Frustration continuing from last years dismal showing.

I've hunted three times this week and haven't flushed a grouse but we have flushed many woodcock and taken 7. As you said plenty of apples, berries and wild grapes but I didn't hear many drumming this spring and have only jumped a couple putting up tree stands. I also have seen very few traveling the back roads. Perhaps the wet summer had an affect, as there seems to be fewer young turkey also. The last several years numbers seem to be way down.

grouse \ woodcock are where you find them. think grouse eat 200+ items? haven' t made it out for grouse yet. my friend moved a few. hard to come by, extra jumpy this year. he's been hunting allegheny county. 1 per hour avg. hot weather, thick cover hasn' t helped. how are the ticks on drum? 

Desperately trying to get my dog's mouth on one.  We did the youth Pheasant hunt this morning.  Tinkerbelle hand delivered four fat, slow flying cocks to the kid I am mentoring........whole lot'o shooting and no hitting.  Fun thou.

Was up in Barnes Corners area this past weekend and flushed a bunch of grouse at least 3-4 per day. Found crab apples in one and purple berries (arrowwood maybe) in the other. Seemed like most were in or near alders or swampy areas near good grouse cover. The hot weather sucked and was rough on the dog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Checked on my good spot today for the first time since before deer season.  Lucked in to the mother lode again.  14 flushes in less than an hour and a half.  I would say 10 different birds.  Connected on the only good shot I had.  Amazing how they fly out in the open when you are in the brush and can't shoot and how they fly in the cover when you are in the open, ready, and good to go.  The one I had had apple buds in his crop. 

• 2 weeks later...