Remember your arrow safety test! Reminder to stay out of the ER!

skipper19

Being the season for hunting deer with your stick and string, I figure there are a lot of bow hunters getting their equipment "dialed in" on targets and such. Often as your groups tighten and you fire arrows at a bulls eye you get arrows contacting each other and can cause damage to the shaft, or nock. It's a kind of damage that can be overlooked and have a dangerous side effect. I try to get targets that have multiple bulls on them for sighting in and group analysis so each arrow can be fired at it's own target bull.

If you must fire arrows at the same bull, limit the number of arrows shot in succession, and be aware of the telltale "click" sound of an arrow contacting another already in the target. I have had a nock get destroyed this year, although readily noticeable, I was reminded that maybe I should check the shaft with the bend test. I found no other damage but could have easily just replaced the nock and kept shooting the same shaft.

A little info, and some shock of reality to keep it front and center!

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrow-safety-warning.html

Shoot safe and healthy my friends! Good luck this season, and don't fall out of your tree either! We like to read success, not distress! :):happy2:

Mark

When I drew on my first bow deer my knock had be damaged. The deer was 2 yards away from my stand and when I aimed down at the deer my arrow fell off the string and landed about 3 to 4 feet away from the deer. It looked up at me as I knocked my next arrow and it sprinted away as soon as I began to draw. I was 13 or 14 at the time and the image still haunts me 10 years later.