Bronze

BSmaster

Picked up the largest small mouth I have ever caught Sunday and it came from my favorite fishing hole as a teenager. 

20 inch length

12 inch girth

Tioga River, Lindley, NY

Sorry about the pic - It was hard fitting it into a selfy.  I know this is not a huge smally for the lakes and big rivers, but the river this was caught from doesn't produce many bigger than this.  It is hard to get a small boat down this river in the summer.

post-149943-0-78132800-1381195865_thumb.jpg

Niiiicce BSmaster...! :yes:  I know what you mean by the smaller rivers. That fish would be really good on one of the fingers or the Big O or any other larger body such as the Susqe, but in those rivers and streams where a 10-12 incher or so is more common, that one is a pure hawg :o ! Actually there are more of those than you think in those waters, but with the quicker smaller younger ones, they are hard to get. And fewer and farther between. Nice going!!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok. lower Niagra.....Yeah there are some hawg smallies there. Actually there could be big ones anywhere. Any of the fingers hold big ones. The two biggest smallies I've ever caught were north of 5.5 lbs....on the same scale. One was at Chautauqua on the east side of the north part at Dewittville Bay on an oversized organge-ish Rapala shad rap in about 8 fow. The other was at the north end of Honeoye a little east of the Honeoye creek outlet about 300yards from shore in weedy and muddy water due to strong southerly winds on a 4 inch yellow grub tail on a plain 1/4oz. jig. And the biggest I've had on (but broke off after seeing it right under my boat) had to be well over 6lbs. And that was on the west side of the east fork of Kueka a little south of Kueka College on a cheap blue 6 inch plastic worm in clear water about 5 ft from shore at the edge of a drop off into about 90 to 100 fow......You're right. That photo does not do that fish the justice. Great catch...!   :yes: 

• 1 month later...

Nice smallie!  I used to float a small river like you describe in my float tube many lifetimes ago.  Spent half the time walking, rather than bumping my butt on the rocks.  Loved catching them like that.