Shark Rigger Weights: Black or Chrome?

• 3 years later...

I am new to using downriggers, so have been reading up as much as possible.  I have 2 Cannon Mag 10HS units.  Intend to use riggers in summer on Erie when walleye are deep, over toward Ashtabula and Conneaut.  Hope to come to Lake O in July, probably Olcott, Niagara bar area.  I tried out my riggers by Pa line, 75 fow last September, 10 lb balls down 50 ft had lot of blowback, not seen on sonar.  Maybe it was current, maybe need less water resistant, heavier weight.  I have looked on e-bay and various web sites.  Best information I've seen is this LOU website.  Thanks for all the shared information.

Question: when you say "torpedo" weights, are those the fish shaped ones, or a straight cylinder?  I have reviewed info on the Shark brand weights.  Trying to determine one best set of weights to get that will work on Lake O and Erie.  Thinking 13 or 15 lb fish shaped, if that is what you call torpedo shape.

Edited by FarmerChris
add "or 15" to weight

I've got new to me mag 20's, bought them off a fellow LOU member, I ran the 12# torps. on older mag 10's not to exceed 10lbs weights with the older ones, but Harvey's torpedo weights track straight as an arrow, working better than the mold I have, very slender pancake with a whale tail for downward pressure and a keel type rudder for tracking true, which they do but Harvey's 12# torpedos put mine to shame!! Hey why lie about it. I ordered his heaviest weight he has now that I have riggers that can handle them. I also know if Jerry says there's no difference in performance Till 100ft or better, then that's way it it is. The man speaks the truth. I don't fish much bellow 80-100ft, but when I do, I want to be able to do just that. So hope all goes well. Only time will tell!!

Edited by pap