few niagara pics from sun 2/24

gokudl3

No, thats not the norm for the river. The third and bottom picture represent the river better as far as ice levels throughout. The first picture is at the bottom of the Artpark drift, which is a curve in the river, thus making the ice pile up. At the Lewiston docks, the river is pretty straight and the ice should be more thinned out.

YT if you were to take your fiberglass boat there you would have to be carefull and do alot of weaving in and out. The times i have gone to the river the ice has been that bad or worse at least half the time. Sometimes the ice can be hard to see and sometimes you have no choice to go through it, but its worth it and makes for a more exciting trip. The first couple times i went there was no ice, then the first time i showed up and there was ice i was shocked :shock: , after contemplating whether i should turn aroung or go for it. It can be intimidating at first but you get use to it. As far as that being normal if adam says its not he would now best. I just pick the icy days. The ramp was the nerve racking part because i dont have four wheel drive and even though my boat doesnt weight much i still dont want to be the guy that ties the ramp up for hours because he sank his van. They do have a pile of salt next to the ramp. As far as the water level i didnt see anyone have a problem with that. My boat was froze to my trailer though and after all most giving myself a hernia trying to push it off i had to pull back up and re-ice the ramp to loosen my boat from the trailor. I actually think the first picture is at the end of the stella drift but the end of artpark was the same way. The ice flow was a pain because my line kept getting caught on it.

Doug

Thats the ice bridge below the falls. That will be there until it warms up, then it will all come down river or just melt off.

Yankee, I forgot your boat is fiberglass, I would be very careful with a glass boat on the river during the winter as I wouldn't want to scratch or mess up the fiberglass. Typically, everyone runs aluminum boats in the winter because of the ice. Like Doug said, there is usually ice you don't even see, but rather you hear it when you hit it while running. I think that would be hard on a glass boat.