Otisco night bite

The night bite for largemouths has been pretty solid lately considering Tim and I are targeting walleye. We have been catching 1-2 a piece every night casting for eyes. This might not sound too impressive except they are huge. Large floating sticks over the weeds along shore seem to be the ticket. If you want a crack at a trophy bass for the wall id say October 16-20 might be your best chance. I have only measured 3 but those were 22-23 inches and id guess 6-8 pounds. The rest have been more like 18-21 inches. The biggest coming on the new moon and the full moon should also be great. Back in may we got 1 that was 24+ with the same pattern. With a little hard fishing Id say its as close to a sure thing as you can get, and don't be surprised if you get into some big eyes too!

justin

Sounds like some fantastic fishing! Not to be preachy, just a reminder that replica mounts based on a picture will last longer and look better than the real thing. 

Go get 'em!

I agree Gator...I take length and girth and take pic. At the end of the season I pick the best fish or two and get em done! This year is gonna be VERY expensive! lol A crappie, a tiger, a walleye, and a striper....have a lmb and a smb too but cant afford it.

justin

Fishing and hunting is who I am so for me the art on my walls is taxidermy. Tracy loves our mounts too so we will keep adding, but its not for everyone. Taxidermy preserves very special memories that we have together as a family. Everybody buys "stuff" to decorate the walls of their home I get mounts....and tend to believe they mean more to me than the stuff on the average walls with the exception of pictures. Im not one to show off taxidermy its really just for us to look at...probably silly to most people. Cant wait to get tracy,s tiger and her walleye from last week done! We have antlers all over the living room including on the coffee table lol. Im lucky Tracy loves em too!

justin

Justin,

If you get a chance, upload a few pictures. I'd love to check out your collection...who does your work? I went to school in Binghamton, but that was twenty-five years ago. I concur with you on your choice of decor, though my wife, who doesn't hunt or fish, has tastes that run more toward European mounts and oils of ducks rather than taxidermy. I may sneak a few goldeneye into the mix this year, though.

gator

Gator,

Ill pm you the pics of the deer and antlers, but the fish I are all from the last 12 monthes and I waited to get any started till recently as I wanted to make sure I picked the right fish.  I used jeff balmer for my deer, but last year we took Tracy's first buck to a buddy that just got started.  His name is jeff adams and he is a great guy and half the money of balmer.  The last one I took to balmers came out fantastic as always, but he is the type to say , "well I wouldn't of shot that one"  This rubbed me wrong and the deer was very special do to the nature of the kill not its size.  The buck was chasing a doe and I did a spot and stalk, as I approached he actually started breeding her making the last crawl possible.  My buddy and his young son were there and watched the whole thing.  The whole family was with me for the recovery which added to the experience.  The whole day was so special, the deer was my biggest archery kill, 9 point, that I knew I had to preserve the memory.  To hear a taxidermist tell me what was a trophy totally pushed me to find a new taxidermist.  After all how often does somebody spot n stalk a nice buck with a bow let alone shooting the buck right off the does back with your best friend and young boy watching.  It was surreal and therefore a real TROPHY.  If I paid 5k and got a guide, had him do all the work, shot a bigger buck from a stand he hung, on his lease in Illinois or wherevever would that make a better trophy?  I say NO! 

justin

I hear you, man. I can't imagine any better buck than that...perfect. And to have a friend's kid watch the whole thing? Just unreal. My good buddy the "other" Keith is bringing his son out with us tonight, he's ten, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have a chance to get him into the game. In fact, I got to go shower and get ready to head out the door. I'll look for those pics.

Gator,

I decided to just post them...the broken horn buck is tracy's first, the little 9 is my bow buck, the other 2 9's are shotgun and rifle, the bowl of antlers is all smaller bucks from before we practiced management, the 3 sets in the wall are my sons....the turkey pieces are collectibles from the NWTF given to me for winning two predator hunts they sponsored. Cant wait till we have the fish!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-13817011298188_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13817012091597_thumb.jpg

post-151276-138170132775_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13817013656813_thumb.jpg

The night bite for largemouths has been pretty solid lately considering Tim and I are targeting walleye. We have been catching 1-2 a piece every night casting for eyes. This might not sound too impressive except they are huge. Large floating sticks over the weeds along shore seem to be the ticket. If you want a crack at a trophy bass for the wall id say October 16-20 might be your best chance. I have only measured 3 but those were 22-23 inches and id guess 6-8 pounds. The rest have been more like 18-21 inches. The biggest coming on the new moon and the full moon should also be great. Back in may we got 1 that was 24+ with the same pattern. With a little hard fishing Id say its as close to a sure thing as you can get, and don't be surprised if you get into some big eyes too!

justin

How late at night? Is this the general pattern for fall bass fishing? Even Irondequoit Bay?

After dark....I have fished starting anywhere between 8pm and 430am and caught big bass every single trip...within say 2 hours tops...mind you Im fishing for eyes and have no interest in the bass whatsoever...my son on the other hand loves catching them too.