Otisco evening 10/13

pro-fish-n-c

Casted east shore of otisco from 7pm to 11pm with a buddy this evening. Threw f18's, bomber saltwater magnums, husky jerks, gapen polish shads, and xrap shallow super shads. . Missed one hit on a black and gold bomber magnum, and caught one fish on a shad color f18.

Heard the fish start hitting about 830, nice wind in our faces, but the fish were pretty far out, and we could hear them hitting slowly yet continuously the whole time we were there. . Frustrating to say the least, especially when i lost 3 , yes 3, f18's by being an idiot and accidentally snapping the bail shut when casting. Fish I landed was 26" measured and an estimated 7.5 to 8lbs. Shocked at the thickness and girth, as this was my first otisco walleye ever. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice and info I've read. Will be back with a vengeance when the wind is right, and will be bringing the boat out for sure.

Also astounded at how they sound when they hit top water compared to Oneida fish, sounds like dropping a cannonball in the water from 50 ft up.

9B25FFB3-250C-4F67-B01E-66A95C991501-102

Nice eye! Nobody said fishing isn't expensive.....my wife has said numerous times "Why are all your hobbies so expensive"? :lol: You may want to look along the shoreline later for your Rapala if you were in a place that isn't heavily traveled. I've picked up some of mine that way (as well as others) You may have a few with Justin's name on them too :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

My crew is minus 9 or 10...thats just f18s...be great if it was golf...we were even last night thankfully! The boys throw baitcasters with 20 pound flouro so that helps...cant screw with light line with big plugs and tigers around...

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You have to pay to play, I figure losing 30 bucks of lures is about the same cost if I trailered the boat down for the night. The stupid mistakes are what aggravate me though, accidentally closing the bail, or breaking the tip off my St. Croix in the door of my truck like last week.

I re measured that fish this morning, 26" on the nose, 6lbs 13oz, and 14-3/4" girth. I guess I was a little optimistic on the weight in the heat of the moment.

Hoping for an 8lber in the near future.

I busted the tip off my rod the other night in the toon!

Time to go shopping.....again. for an f18(s) and a new casting rod!

If you keep at it...you should be able to get an 8lbr.

Tim

Tim, if it is just the tip, save it.  Put a replacement on it.  It happens to me quite often with vehicles and their closing parts.  Rod will still work.

Joe

What rod setup are you guys using to get the big lures out there. I did ok with 15lb power pro, a cheap 7' ugly stick medium weight, and pfluegher president. All my rod and reel money is invested in my jigging setups for Oneida.

I was getting five colors out with this but I can see where if you are shore bound you can use a little more distance.

I appreciate the input. I'm a beginner on otisco but a veteran on Oneida, and one of our hotspots the minnows get pushed on shore onto the sand and the 'eyes dorsal fins come out of the water at times they run so shallow. We tried close in parallel to shore shallow but in my opinion they were stalled at the weedbed lastnight... If the wind kept blowing the rest of the nite in the same direction , I would put money they would be in that first 5 yards off shore like you guys are talking about.

When they are in like that and the water is calm, it's key to keep your headlamp off and not shine the water. If you must keep it on to watch the rod tip, keep your light steady and in one direction, not flashing back and forth.

If the casting bite is on they are right in front of you especially along the road on the east side, as its close to 40 feet deep at max cast.  If you work at it you get 1 on the off nights, those nights are trolling nights.  The only sure way to get a limit is to troll starting in light and watch your electronics as it gets dark.  If the screen goes blank cast if it doesn't you keep trolling.  It will take experience to be good at both...and I don't mean half a dozen trips.  Casting set ups need to be very sensitive.  The best setup cody and I have is a custom denali rosewood 7 foot medium power moderate action with 10lb nanofil.  I can feel the slightest taps with this rig.  they seldom hit hard its mostly very subtle taps.  If its ON for casting you'll know it.  The fish are deep if they aren't in close and therefore even if you could cast far enough the f18 isn't deep enough anyway.  The loud splashes way out aren't walleye.  I see tons of this night trolling...its carp mostly. 

justin