Canandaigua 10/13

I fished Sunday with my friend Al who keeps his boat at Sutters.  He had rerigged his rod holders and downriggers on track and wanted to get out and use his new equipment.  We set up around 1:00 PM inthe mid lake area out from German Bros.  We marked lots of fish for a mile or so 40-90 feet down.  We ran 2 riggers at 51' and 56' with spoons.  Wire divers with spin drs and flies out 180' and 202'.  And 200' copper and 300' copper with spoons.  The 300' copper took shot with DW SS DWB but nobody home near Long Point  on the east side.  Al wanted to get over to Onanda Park area where he had marked lots of fish Saturday on boat ride.  We had to contend with a  sailboat race that was on from the north end to the south end.  At which point we waited for 3 sailboats barely making headway in the light breeze to troll west to Onanda.  We hooked up on that turn on the 200' copper.  Nice 3 lb bow off a chicken wing.  Then as we get into 140' of water and turn north in front of Onanda we hook up on wire diver with a green dot spinnie and atomik green glow fly.  At that point I told Al if we keep that bow another 4 lber we would have to release any bigger ones we get to the net.  He said my wife loves to eat the rainbows so we boxed him just as Al noticed a boater waving to us as if they needed something.  We trolled up next to them realized they were dead in water. We met a  Mom, Dad, two little kids and grandma  and grandpa.  Well I hauled the gear in and Al circled back so we could give them a tow.  Al had a great two rope which made the hookup easy but our fishing day was done.  We towed them back at around 7 mph to the north end launch.  It took about 1 1/2 hours from Onanda Park area. 

We did find the channel markers have been moved tighter together due to shallow water from the entry at the lake to the opening at Sucker Brook.  The Sucker Brook and the channel at times were 2.0 ft on the graph.  Be careful in there.  We were in Al's boat a 25' Sea Ray Amberjack

Very nice thing you guys did, helping those folks out, and ending your fishing in the process.. I have done the same several times, and would hope most fishermen would as well, but I  Have personally seen  guys in a big boat  keep  fishing and not move to help  2 guys in a sinking 14 footer in heavy wind and waves.. You fellas did the right thing!  We ALL need to realize at some times, our fishing trips become insignificant, and we need to be good neighbors.. it is VERY scarey indeed to be "dead in the water".. Been there done that, but somehow, always got back on our own.. My luck WILL run out someday, Law of averages...   Nice job!... bob

always good to help when you see a boater in distress in my life ive given 3 tows and once went in to get a camp owner to help out a stranded boater on black lake (offered tow they declined but asked us to get owner).  when my turn came and our engine stalled out 2 miles from the dock someone was nice enough to stop there day and tow us in so karma is definatly worth it.

Nice work! The fish Gods should be smiling on you guys for a while. It's a nasty feeling being left vulnerable in the water with a dead engine and it's great you folks responded with a wonderful gesture. That narrowing of the buoys didn't help your efforts either....it's bad enough with a solitary large boat coming through there now.  Good going Flx Troutman :yes:

For me it's 2.4-3.0 much of the time (which is above the speed used most of the time for kings etc. on Lake O). It seems to be productive yet eliminates the problem of lakers smacking it :)

Edited by Sk8man